2 capacitors in series w/ a dielectric.

In summary, two capacitors, C1 and C2, in series are connected to a voltage source and charged. When one of the capacitors, C2, is filled with a dielectric, the charge on C2 changes by a factor of K while the charge on the unfilled capacitor, C1, remains the same. This is because the voltage source keeps the potential differences of each capacitor constant. However, the potential difference of the capacitors changes, as shown by the equation Vtotal=V1+V2=q/C1+q/KC2. This rule for capacitors in series applies even when a dielectric is inserted into one of the capacitors, but the results will be different.
Iron Charioteer
Warning: Members are reminded to use the provided Formatting Template for homework posts!
Two capacitors (lets call them C1 and C2) in series are connected to a voltage source and charged. While still connected to the source one of them is filled with a dielectric (lets say C2 is filled). I know the charge on C2 will change by a factor of K because the source keeps the potential differences of each capacitor constant. But does the charge of the unfilled capacitor (C1) change?
This is more of a conceptual question.

EDIT: I got it. The charge on the unfilled capacitor remains the same.
I would delete the thread but i can't figure out how to do that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Iron Charioteer said:
I know the charge on C2 will change by a factor of K because the source keeps the potential differences of each capacitor constant.
It doesn't, it keeps the sum of the potential differences constant.
Iron Charioteer said:
The charge on the unfilled capacitor remains the same.
It does not.
Changing the charge on one capacitor but not on the other would violate charge conservation.

Hmmm... I guess i didn't know what i thought i knew. Haha!
So what you're saying is that the the charge on each capacitor remains the same but the potential difference of the capacitors changes; i.e.
Vtotal=V1+V2=q/C1+q/KC2.
So the rule for capacitors in series holds even when a dielectric is inserted into one of the capacitors?

Iron Charioteer said:
So what you're saying is that the the charge on each capacitor remains the same
I'm not saying that.
Iron Charioteer said:
So the rule for capacitors in series holds even when a dielectric is inserted into one of the capacitors?
They apply before and afterwards separately, sure. They'll give different results, however.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conducting plates separated by a dielectric material.

2. How do capacitors work?

When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, one plate receives a positive charge and the other plate receives a negative charge. This creates an electric field between the plates, storing energy in the capacitor. The amount of charge that can be stored depends on the capacitance of the capacitor, which is determined by the size and spacing of the plates.

3. What is the purpose of a dielectric material in a capacitor?

The dielectric material in a capacitor serves to increase the capacitance by reducing the electric field between the plates. It also acts as an insulator, preventing the plates from coming into direct contact and shorting out the capacitor.

4. What happens when two capacitors are connected in series with a dielectric?

When capacitors are connected in series with a dielectric, the total capacitance of the circuit increases. This is because the dielectric material reduces the electric field between the plates, allowing for more charge to be stored on each capacitor.

5. How does adding a dielectric affect the voltage and charge in a series capacitor circuit?

Adding a dielectric to a series capacitor circuit does not affect the voltage, as it is the same across all components in a series circuit. However, the charge on each capacitor will increase due to the increased capacitance, resulting in a higher total charge in the circuit.