1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2-dimentional movement of a point

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    Ok, I know this post is not up to specs but the real problem with this is my trouble with calculus and derivatives (I'm actually worse at that than at English ;) ) in general. I only need help with this step of the homework (basic math help).

This describes the movement of the point:
    x= 4*x0*cos (Angular velocity*time)
    y= x0*sin (2*angular velocity*time)

Angular velocity is given as is x0.

At first I just thought dx/dt = v, and went for it by using the rule (dsink*k/dx=k*cos(k*x)) got:

Vx=-4x0*angular velocity* sin (angular velocity*t)
    Vy=x0*2*angular velocity*cos (2*angular velocity*t)

I know this is wrong. Since I realised as soon as I wrote it that, angular velocity is v/r so d(v/r)/dt, trying to get throught that using the rule for d(f(x)/g(x))/dx it got quickly complicated since looking at the XY graph (I got something that looks like a 8) for movment leads me to belive r is not constant.

Anyway the more basic problem is that I don't know how to solve sin (f(x)*x)/dx or the second one for cos :(

I can solve d(f(x)*x)/dx and dsin(x)/dx (since both are covered by the simple equations) but putting them together confuses the heck out of me.

You guys where very patient and helpful with my previous problem, I hope I can learn from you again. :) Again, thaks for taking the time to help a newbie with something (for you) this trivial. :)

PS I hope angular velocity is the proper english word the derivative for what I mean is dAngle/dTime its related to velocity (v= r * angular velocity).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not wrong. You took the derivatives correctly so the velocity components are what they are. Here you do not have circular motion, so ω=v/r does not apply. If you had circular motion then

x2+y2 = constant. This is not the case here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook