1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 equations. How to find X°/X?

1. Mar 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have two equations.

1. b(N) = rN^k

2. bN° = Y - X - C

How can I find an expression for N°/N

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am a little lost here since I dont know much about the properties of differential equations. So my attempts at solution has been to take the derivative of the first equation and call it N°, which I dont know if I am alloved to do. Then insert it into the second equation and solve it for N. It doesent seem to be right.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What is N° supposed to mean?
    I read your explanation below, but I still don't understand what you mean.
    Why not call it b'(N)? Differentiation both sides with respect to N would give b'(N) = rkNk - 1, but I don't see that doing this is helpful.

Also, how do x and y tie in here? Your first equation involves N, and what appear to be constants, r and k.

This is very confusing. What is the exact statement of the problem?

4. Mar 17, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does your mysterious notation ##X^o## mean ##\dot{X} = dX(t)/dt##? If so, are you saying that you have
    [tex] \frac{d}{dt} \left( r N^k \right) = Y- X - C?[/tex]
    Are ##r,k## constants? Are ##N, Y, X,C## functions of ##t##? And, if ##X^o## does mean ##dX/dt##, where in your equations is there anything that tells you about ##dX/dt##?

Please try to submit complete and readable questions, using standard notation.

5. Mar 18, 2015 #4
    The question is from a paper.

They write:

If we substitute the formula for R&D cost from equation 6.36 into the resource constraint 6.23 we get:

upload_2015-3-18_15-55-54.png

upload_2015-3-18_15-56-38.png
    upload_2015-3-18_15-57-7.png

X and Y

upload_2015-3-18_15-58-55.png

I dont really expect an answer here because I still think my post is not good enough. And also I cant bes sure I have provided you with all the necessary information, but if what they have done is intuitive to any of you and that you understand what they did, I would very much appreciate an answer.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted