2 equations. How to find X°/X?

• Thread starter beaf123
  • Start date
In summary, the author is struggling to solve a problem involving two equations. The first equation is b(N) = rN^k. The second equation is bN° = Y - X - C. N° is apparently supposed to represent the derivative of N with respect to time. The author is not sure if they are allowed to do this and wonders if x and y are related somehow. They also wonder what dX/dt means.
beaf123

Homework Statement

I have two equations.

1. b(N) = rN^k

2. bN° = Y - X - C

How can I find an expression for N°/N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a little lost here since I don't know much about the properties of differential equations. So my attempts at solution has been to take the derivative of the first equation and call it N°, which I don't know if I am alloved to do. Then insert it into the second equation and solve it for N. It doesent seem to be right.

Physics news on Phys.org
beaf123 said:

Homework Statement

I have two equations.

1. b(N) = rN^k

2. bN° = Y - X - C
What is N° supposed to mean?
I read your explanation below, but I still don't understand what you mean.
beaf123 said:

Homework Equations

I am a little lost here since I don't know much about the properties of differential equations. So my attempts at solution has been to take the derivative of the first equation and call it N°, which I don't know if I am alloved to do. Then insert it into the second equation and solve it for N. It doesent seem to be right.

Why not call it b'(N)? Differentiation both sides with respect to N would give b'(N) = rkNk - 1, but I don't see that doing this is helpful.

Also, how do x and y tie in here? Your first equation involves N, and what appear to be constants, r and k.

This is very confusing. What is the exact statement of the problem?

beaf123 said:

Homework Statement

I have two equations.

1. b(N) = rN^k

2. bN° = Y - X - C

Homework Equations

Does your mysterious notation ##X^o## mean ##\dot{X} = dX(t)/dt##? If so, are you saying that you have
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \left( r N^k \right) = Y- X - C?[/tex]
Are ##r,k## constants? Are ##N, Y, X,C## functions of ##t##? And, if ##X^o## does mean ##dX/dt##, where in your equations is there anything that tells you about ##dX/dt##?

Please try to submit complete and readable questions, using standard notation.

The question is from a paper.

They write:

If we substitute the formula for R&D cost from equation 6.36 into the resource constraint 6.23 we get:

upload_2015-3-18_15-55-54.png

upload_2015-3-18_15-56-38.png

upload_2015-3-18_15-57-7.png

X and Y

upload_2015-3-18_15-58-55.png
I don't really expect an answer here because I still think my post is not good enough. And also I can't bes sure I have provided you with all the necessary information, but if what they have done is intuitive to any of you and that you understand what they did, I would very much appreciate an answer.

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-18_15-53-52.png
    upload_2015-3-18_15-53-52.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 429

1. How do I solve for X in 2 equations?

To solve for X in 2 equations, you need to use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable X on one side of the equation. This can be done by using the properties of equality and performing the same operations on both sides of the equation.

2. Can I solve for X if there are multiple variables in the equations?

Yes, you can still solve for X even if there are multiple variables in the equations. You will need to use the same algebraic principles and methods to isolate X and solve for it.

3. What if the equations have different variables for X?

If the equations have different variables for X, you can still solve for X by using substitution. This means you substitute one variable for another in one of the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the other.

4. Is there a specific order to solving 2 equations for X?

There is no specific order to solving 2 equations for X, but it is important to keep track of your steps and use proper algebraic rules and techniques to avoid errors.

5. What if the equations are not linear?

If the equations are not linear (meaning they cannot be written in the form y = mx + b), you may need to use more advanced methods such as substitution or elimination to solve for X. You may also need to use a graphing calculator or software to visualize and find the solution.