Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 inputs to one headset control

1. Jul 23, 2009 #1
    I was wondering if I had two inputs going to my headphones, one being the intercom on my airplane and the other being an ipod. Could I put two pnp transistors with collector and emitter on the ipod connections and the base connect to the intercom. So when audio comes threw the intercom the ipod sound drops.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Seems safer to put the plane audio in your left ear, and the music in your right ear. Wouldn't want to miss a warning on the Guard channel just because the switch-over circuit wasn't working one day, eh?

4. Jul 23, 2009 #3
    well if I forget about the danger will the idea still work by using pnp transistors

5. Jul 23, 2009 #4

berkeman

You're a pilot? :uhh:

And no, I don't think the simple circuit you describe will do what you want to do. What is the standard for airplane headset channels? I would think that radio traffic already has precedence over intercom traffic... is that the way your headset works currently?

6. Jul 23, 2009 #5

negitron

Science Advisor

Interestinglyalthough there is an application process in place to obtain TSO approval for flight communications equipment, there is no law or regulation in effect to prohibit one from using equipment without such approval, including pilot-modified equipment.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/542619.html

Nevertheless, in the interest of safety, I recommend you look into existing FAA/TSO approved equipment which does what you want.

7. Jul 23, 2009 #6
    yes I am a pilot, and I'm not sure what you mean by channels, I'm just using the jack that I connect my headset. and before I posted I saw devices that do what I'm asking but I don't want to pay the money.

8. Jul 23, 2009 #7

negitron

Science Advisor

Well, if you don't feel like being safe, I don't feel like helping you.

I can't speak for anyone else here.

9. Jul 23, 2009 #8
    I think I'm just need to stop this thread. How would I do it

10. Jul 23, 2009 #9

berkeman

Happy to help. Closing the thread, I mean.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook