1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 objects to be filled into 3 spaces

1. Jul 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The letters 'P, I, H, A, T ' are to be arranged in a row. Find the number of possible arrangement if the vocals letters occupy the even position

after filling in P, H , T into second and fourth location, now there's only 2 letter (I and A ) , to be filled into 2 locations. how to do this?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

my ans is 3 x 2 x 3P2 = 36

Attached Files:

• ER.png
      ER.png
      File size:
      3.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2014 #2

Ibix

Science Advisor

Um. My guess is that by vocals you mean vowels. In that case, it's A and I that must be in positions 2 and 4, surely?

The answer to your question depends on whether or not you are allowed multiple uses of a single letter (is PIPIP a valid sequence?). In either case, you've got two sub-series. One is the arrangement of the consonants in the odd positions; the other is the arrangement of vowels in the even positions. Since there's no crossover between the two, what is the number of combinations for each sub-series? Therefore, what is the number of combinations for the overall series?

4. Jul 6, 2014 #3
    yes, A and I that must be in positions 2 and 4, surely. since position 2 and 4 are even position . am i right?

5. Jul 6, 2014 #4

Ibix

Science Advisor

I think so. But your first post talks about "filling in P, H , T into second and fourth location".

Do you know whether or not you are allowed to use a letter more than once?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted