1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Questions concerning determinants

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

First Question. How many even Permutations does a 5x5 matrix have? In other words how many permutations are there that would make it +1 instead of -1.

Second Question. v= (3,2) w= (4,1) use determinants to find the area of a triangle with sides v, w and v+w

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

First Question. I know you can write them all out, but is there some kind of formula to find how many permutations there are and determine whether the are even or odd? I assume it has something to do with factorials

Second question. I don't know what to do with the matrix when it is not a square, so how do you find a determinant of a triangle? I could use 1/2bh but the problem asks to use determinants specifically

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

first - how many choices is there for the first row? then say you have chosen first row, how many for the 2nd... and so on

2nd - do you know about vector cross products? the length of a vector cross product is the area of the parallelogram made by the 2 vectors... relate this to the determinant equation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook