Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing 2 significant spot groups currently visible

1. Aug 21, 2017 #1

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi gang

there are currently 2 significant spot groups visible traversing the face of the solar disk

The centre-left string is active region 2671 and the region near the right edge ( eastern limb) is
    active region 2672. AR2672 will continue to rotate across the disk across the next 2 weeks.

800mm, f9, 200th sec, ISO200 and solar filter

IMG_0933sm.gif

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2017 #2
    Cool picture.
    Both groups have a good chance for C-class flares.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  4. Aug 24, 2017 #3
    Was this picture taken morning hours? (to make sure I understand the orientation properly) Or pm hours and reverse image?

5. Aug 24, 2017 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

West limb left side, east limb right side, not 100% certain if north pole is up or down ... I suspect it's up

this is visual view, non-telescope view as seen on spaceweather.com, sdac etc sites where E and W (and maybe N and S - not sure) are inverted
    Tho I'm lead to believe that N and S poles are correct ( I haven't figured out how they invert E and W without doing the same to N and S poles ??)

D

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  6. Aug 25, 2017 #5
    Ok thanks Dave, that helps.
    If it's visual view it must have been taken am hours, because that's how I see the sun in the morning. (In the afternoon and forth, if we do the "rotation" over our head, it turns upside down. [BTW, your being in the South Hemisphere I don't think it matters other than having the Sun to your left (instead of right) when you look East, this time of the year ... (simple Geometry).] )

7. Aug 25, 2017 #6
    I have a photo taken near the end of the eclipse Monday 8-21-2017 from Oregon. The photo above looks to be near midday. It is rotated 180 degrees. Both the E/W and N/S are swapped. This is the view as would be seen in an astronomical telescope. If you add a diagonal you get the N/S corrected but the E/W is still reversed. I will add a photo if I can figure out how.

8. Aug 25, 2017 #7
    It depends on the time.
    Please do! You have to create media first, I think.

9. Aug 25, 2017 #8
    Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 9.44.29 PM.png The camera was tilted down on left a little to show more of the width of the sun. 11:33:01 PDT Aug 21, 2017. 2286mm (90 inches), f15, 100th sec, ISO 200 solar filter. Even though this is a 6" refractor it works just like a standard camera lens.

10. Aug 25, 2017 #9
    That's what I see pm hours. Is your image inverted for some reason?
    ?

11. Aug 25, 2017 #10
    I am in the northern hemisphere at about 44.5 degrees north latitude. On checking an image that I took with the camera level I would say that the photo that I posted is rotated clockwise approximately 46 degrees. Otherwise it is exactly as was seen with the naked eye.

12. Aug 25, 2017 #11
    Is the small spot to the left, next to the moon, group region 2672? If yes (which I assume) then the orientation for am hours is that of a telescope view (unless your instruments are not upright; 46 degrees would still project similar view). In other words your image is almost inverted; I don't know why it is or how you managed it.
    See also
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/solar-activity-and-space-weather-update-thread.923468/
    (posts #1, #2)

davenn's looks like am hours, visual view. That's what I also saw am hours back then (upright visual view image) ... etc.
    [That's why I originally asked the 'hours' question.]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted