Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A little solar activity this week

1. Aug 26, 2015 #1

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Overall this Solar Max has been pretty disappointing. But occasionally the Sun as shown brief bursts of good activity
    over the last week, and for a few more days, there has been a large sunspot group traversing the solar face.
    AR2403 is a massive spot group and one of the largest this solar max. But it hasn't been overly active in the flare production department. So far 6 x M class flares, the largest being a M 5.6

Here's a pic I took yesterday 25 Aug 2015
    800mm ( 400mm and 2x teleconverter), f11, ISO 250, 1/250th sec exp and a full aperture solar filter
    was a bit of an act to get the shot as the sun came and went behind the thick rain clouds

2015_08_25_4157vsm.jpg

cheers
    Dave

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 27, 2015 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi ya :smile:

I used to use that site, but their image quality sucks these days
    I use this one instead ....
    http://umbra.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/latest.html

so much better quality !!

I download the Fe 171, He 304, magnetic, intensity and x-ray images daily ( each morning before going to work)

Have a database of images spanning back to the mid 1990's when SOHO first came online
    and now more recently superseded by SDO ( Solar Dynamics Observatory) space craft

Dave

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook