20 Years From Now. Science and Technology.

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are men into liposuction (etc) too? Not a few would seem to be in need of such :wink:

ShawnD

Science Advisor
It doesn't work. If you don't change your diet and exercise, you'll gain the weight back in less than a year.

Male need for liposuction

Nereid said:
Are men into liposuction (etc) too?
Surely, some men are very into liposuction.

Evo

Mentor
ShawnD said:
I don't know about that one, Evo. Have you seen The Swan? They turn fugly chicks into hot chicks. The only problem with that, as stated by moonbear, is that you won't know how fugly your kids will end up. After having kids, you find out that your wife originally had a huge nose, an ass-chin, was bald, had lopsided boobs, and had a serious underbite.
That's exactly what I was saying.

ShawnD

Science Advisor
Oh sorry, I misunderstood. By "beautiful people" you mean the NORMAL beautiful people. I thought you meant the ones who became beautiful after getting surgery.

Evo

Mentor
ShawnD said:
Oh sorry, I misunderstood. By "beautiful people" you mean the NORMAL beautiful people. I thought you meant the ones who became beautiful after getting surgery.
I did mean the ones who became beautiful after surgery. That's what moonbear was describing.

ShawnD said:
Have you seen The Swan? They turn fugly chicks into hot chicks. The only problem with that, as stated by moonbear, is that you won't know how fugly your kids will end up. After having kids, you find out that your wife originally had a huge nose, an ass-chin, was bald, had lopsided boobs, and had a serious underbite.
and apparently you too?

ShawnD

Science Advisor
I said they become better looking after surgery.
You said the become ugly after surgery.

Are you sure? There are some really fugly people that can be made into good looking people after surgery.

Evo

Mentor
ShawnD said:
I said they become better looking after surgery.
You said the become ugly after surgery.

Are you sure? There are some really fugly people that can be made into good looking people after surgery.
Ah, I see what you mean.

When I said "Moonbear, you have hit the nail on the head. With the nose jobs, orthodontia, liposuction, chin implants, and other various procedures, the "beautiful people" are becoming less and less beautiful. How true and how funny." I was being facetious.

I meant, by plastic surgery, artificially, on the outside, they become more beautiful, but in actuality, thier offspring will be ugly, because they are physically ugly.

I think I may have a problem expressing ideas, you are not the first to misunderstand my posts. :frown: I understand my posts. Does anyone else understand them?

Last edited:

ShawnD

Science Advisor
Just add more smileys to set the tone.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ShawnD said:
About suits being fashionable, wasn't that already a fad sometime in the 80s or something? I would like to see that make a comeback.
Yep, seems suits being fashionable skips generations. So does the length of hemlines. 20s and 30s, era of the flapper dresses (short hemlines), 40s and 50s, longer hemlines, all the men wear suits (think June Cleaver), 60s and 70s, microminis and bellbottoms become popular, 80s the Miami Vice suit look is popular, as are longer skirts for women again (the exception was Madonna and the bras on the outside look...maybe the boxers on the outside is the men's response to the women's trends in the 80s)...the longer hemlines continued into the 90s a bit, but the suit thing didn't last a full generation this time. 90s and 00s, back to shorter hemlines, lower necklines, lower waistlines and the whole grunge look (between rising hemlines and lowering waistlines, there's not much left in between...why do clothes still cost so much????). So, I predict by the 2010s and 2020s, we'll see longer hemlines and suits returning again. Not quite like our father's suits, and not the Miami Vice look, but some version of suits. Fashion trends really seem to be all about rebelling against your parents, even if it means repeating what your grandparents did.

From a technology point of view I think our houses will truely be computerised. With the advent of WiFi and its rapidly increasing uptake by manufacturers of technology the house 20 years from now will have most devices connected up and able to communicate with each other.

I'm not sure robots will be in every house, at least not bipedal robots that do your housework. Simple robots with dedicated tasks such as vacuming the floor will be much more common, and I bet that robot pets and toys will be found in almost every house. Your TV may very well be paper thin and pasted onto your wall. Entertainment will be something that can be viewed and listened to in almost every room of the house. The internet will be used by everyone, yet will be very controlled by governments, thus less freedom, less information, yet also less spam. :)

Clothing-wise, I think the future will be like the old b&w movies. We all will be walking around in skintight silvery one-piece outfits with strange looking helmets and hats. Our computers will be bulky and will take up one room and will have large flashing buttons and big radarish devices. Everyone will be able to go to space in their own personal rocket (that stands around 6 feet tall).

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads