More good neighbor news! The wife of my friend who sells gravel, sand, manure, etc wanted to start growing garlic, so I gave her enough bulbs to get started last fall. This year, I had a bumper crop, and gave her, her best friend, and two other ladies who volunteer at our town's community garden enough German and Russian garlic so that they could all have large enough garlic crops for next season to keep themselves self-sustainable.
I visited my friend's staging-area/sand-gravel pit/screening plant, and took a pail-ful of material from a pile that is comprised of clean coarse sand and pea-stone. I tried filling and edging a short section of pavers with that, and it was perfect, so I called him and asked him to bring me a load (16 cu yds in his big Peterbilt), and before I hung up, I asked him how much the material would cost, so I could have cash available to pay him, and he told me that his he and his wife thought I should get a load of that material for free, and that he'd try to drop it off before noon tomorrow.
I fully expected to pay $250 or more for that large load of twice-screened material. Good deeds come back around to "haunt" you, around here.
My neighbor who (with his daughter) helped to build our raised-bed rock garden and paths is getting a delivery of some nice 12' hemlock logs on Saturday. His (shared with a neighbor) Ford tractor is out of commission until at least next week, so I'll be heading down there with my tractor to unload the logs and stage them on the log ramps feeding his sawmill.