24 year old heading back to school

In summary, In order to pursue a degree related to astronomy, a person would need to be good at math and have taken a college algebra class. They would then need to start preparing for the class by reviewing algebra and algebra 2, trigonometry, and an introductory physics class.
Mattks
A quick bit about myself, I went to college for 2.5 years right out of high school(I ended with a 3.0 gpa), that was about 5 years ago now. I am now wanting to go back to college to finish my degree. My major back then was Business Management, however I have lost all interest in that field and would like to pursue a degree related to astronomy. Now to the hard part, I've not been good at math since middle school and any degree related to astronomy is grounded in math. This summer I will be taking college algebra, but I'm worried that even this could be too advanced for me and I would like to start preparing for the class now, but not entirely sure where to start. Should I review back into high school algebra and algebra 2, anything else I should go back and review? While I was in college I did take a college algebra level class and got a B, but I know I have forgotten a lot since then. In the fall semester I plan on taking trigonometry and an introductory physics class.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the last thing you studied and keep working backwards until you find a point where you understand everything, regardless of how far back it is. Use that as the point to begin your revision.

The "kindest" college texts do a review of algebra, you would probably find it less frustrating to tackle one of these rather than a school book. By studying the early parts of such a text you will not only learn some algebra but find out exactly what you don't know, and need to fix, before going to college.

The one that many UK university physics departments recommend for first year physicists is:

Basic Mathematics for the Physical Sciences by Robert Lambourne, Michael Tinker

It's also the set book for the UK Open University. It's a very gentle, hand-holding introduction to University mathematics for scientists. It has to be gentle because Open University is for mature distance learners who (like you) may not have done school mathematics for a few years. But it also has useful features like "fast track" questions that test if you need to read the following chapter - saves a lot of frustration for adults who know the stuff already... all in all, it's a good book for adults with varying capabilities in Mathematics - from hardly any to former high school maths whiz...

Here's a good overview of this and other books from a UK university site:

http://walet.phy.umist.ac.uk/P101/index.php?doc=Info

Now you will probably get lots of other book recommendations - to decide, use Amazon "Look Inside" to see which ones make sense to you... buy the one that makes most sense...

Also check out your local public library, talk to the librarians, see what books they recommend for someone in your position.

Last edited by a moderator:
mal4mac said:
The "kindest" college texts do a review of algebra, you would probably find it less frustrating to tackle one of these rather than a school book. By studying the early parts of such a text you will not only learn some algebra but find out exactly what you don't know, and need to fix, before going to college.

The one that many UK university physics departments recommend for first year physicists is:

Basic Mathematics for the Physical Sciences by Robert Lambourne, Michael Tinker

It's also the set book for the UK Open University. It's a very gentle, hand-holding introduction to University mathematics for scientists. It has to be gentle because Open University is for mature distance learners who (like you) may not have done school mathematics for a few years. But it also has useful features like "fast track" questions that test if you need to read the following chapter - saves a lot of frustration for adults who know the stuff already... all in all, it's a good book for adults with varying capabilities in Mathematics - from hardly any to former high school maths whiz...

Here's a good overview of this and other books from a UK university site:

http://walet.phy.umist.ac.uk/P101/index.php?doc=Info

Now you will probably get lots of other book recommendations - to decide, use Amazon "Look Inside" to see which ones make sense to you... buy the one that makes most sense...

Also check out your local public library, talk to the librarians, see what books they recommend for someone in your position.

Thanks for the reply, I will look into that book right away as it sounds exactly like what I need.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.totallyfreemath.com/

While you decide, here's a free algebra book. The advantage to this is that it also provides solutions, so if you ever fill the need to check your work, this may help, just don't get dependent on it.

I was 23 when I started college a year ago (Astrophysics major) and I brushed up on my math from www.yaymath.org (go to videos) and www.mathtv.com/ and started calculus with mit single variable calculus on youtube.

1. What factors should I consider when deciding to go back to school at 24 years old?

Some factors to consider include your career goals, financial situation, family responsibilities, and personal motivation. Reflect on your reasons for going back to school and make sure it aligns with your long-term goals.

2. Is it worth it to go back to school at 24 years old?

This ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. Going back to school can provide new career opportunities, knowledge, and personal growth. However, it also requires time, effort, and financial investment. Consider if the benefits outweigh the costs for you.

3. Will I feel out of place as a 24-year-old among younger students?

It is natural to feel some initial discomfort, but remember that you are not alone. Many non-traditional students go back to school at later ages and bring unique perspectives and experiences to the classroom. Embrace your age and use it as an advantage in your studies.

4. Can I balance school and other responsibilities, such as work and family?

It can be challenging, but it is possible to balance school with other responsibilities. Prioritize your time and create a schedule that works for you. Communicate with your employer and family about your commitments and find a support system to help you manage your responsibilities.

5. What resources are available for 24-year-olds heading back to school?

There are many resources available for non-traditional students, including financial aid, scholarships, academic advising, and career services. Take advantage of these resources to help you navigate your academic journey and achieve your goals.