26 yo pharma journalist looking for hard science masters.

In summary: There are some graduate programs that accept students without undergraduate degrees in science, but these programs usually have specific requirements such as a GPA of 3.0 or higher in certain courses like calculus, physics, biology, and chemistry, and good scores on relevant standardized tests. Pre-masters courses may also be available at some universities, but it would be best to research and confirm if they would meet the requirements of specific graduate programs.
photonsabsent
Hi everyone,

My details:
Education: Bachelor's in Mass Media; Post-graduate Diploma in Journalism
Work ex: 5 years for an international news agency covering pharmaceuticals and healthcare.

I loved science in high school and was great at it, but couldn't continue due to some unavoidable personal circumstances. I've been strongly feeling the need to study science over the past year. I applied for a science fellowship last year, but turns out I'm too young for it. So I am now looking to apply for a science masters program next year - something in Earth sciences, geology or biology. Obviously, all masters programs require an undergrad in science. Since there is no concept of community college in my area, I've been taking online courses to catch up on physics and bio ... but it's only making me realize how badly I need a classroom environment.

Someone mentioned the BU LEAP program on another thread, but that's only for engineering. Anything like that for science? Or any science masters programs that would accept me with my current academic background?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, welcome here. From googling "BU LEAP" I gathered that you are from the US, is this correct? It may be helpful to know, since people can help you better then.

Krylov said:
Hello, welcome here. From googling "BU LEAP" I gathered that you are from the US, is this correct? It may be helpful to know, since people can help you better then.
Hey! Actually, I'm not. I'm from India, and my entire education so far has been in India. I just happened to notice the BU thread while looking for similar questions.

Likes S.G. Janssens
photonsabsent said:
Hi everyone,

My details:
Education: Bachelor's in Mass Media; Post-graduate Diploma in Journalism
Work ex: 5 years for an international news agency covering pharmaceuticals and healthcare.

I loved science in high school and was great at it, but couldn't continue due to some unavoidable personal circumstances. I've been strongly feeling the need to study science over the past year. I applied for a science fellowship last year, but turns out I'm too young for it. So I am now looking to apply for a science masters program next year - something in Earth sciences, geology or biology. Obviously, all masters programs require an undergrad in science. Since there is no concept of community college in my area, I've been taking online courses to catch up on physics and bio ... but it's only making me realize how badly I need a classroom environment.

Someone mentioned the BU LEAP program on another thread, but that's only for engineering. Anything like that for science? Or any science masters programs that would accept me with my current academic background?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Cheers!

earth sciences, geology or biology

I thought you said "hard sciences."

Anything like that for science? Or any science masters programs that would accept me with my current academic background?

There are graduate programs that admit students without undergrad degrees in science. But this depends on the specific academic background, which is usually evaluated based on the whole transcript and standardized tests rather than just on a degree in an unrelated field and GPA.

A GPA of 3.0 or higher in these courses is a common requirement:

2 semesters of college calculus (real college, not AP)
2 semesters of college physics w/ lab (real college, not AP)
2 semesters of college biology w/ lab (real college, not AP)
2 semesters of general chemistry w/ lab (real college, not AP)
2 semesters of organic chemistry w/ lab (real college, not AP)
Good scores on relevant standardized test for grad school: GRE (general and/or subject), MCAT, PCAT, etc.

There may be some slight variations in specific requirements for specific programs, but if you are short of 8 semesters of lab science and 2 semesters of calculus, I would not be optimistic. Most folks would be skeptical of graduate programs admitting students with less than 8 good solid science courses and a year of calculus. (Most grad programs have higher admissions requirements that are higher than this. Programs with lower requirements are easily identified as diploma mills.)

But you need to do your own homework and get the specific requirements of programs that may be of interest.

Likes CalcNerd
Dr. Courtney said:
earth sciences, geology or biology

I thought you said "hard sciences."

Anything like that for science? Or any science masters programs that would accept me with my current academic background?

There are graduate programs that admit students without undergrad degrees in science. But this depends on the specific academic background, which is usually evaluated based on the whole transcript and standardized tests rather than just on a degree in an unrelated field and GPA.

Good scores on relevant standardized test for grad school: GRE (general and/or subject), MCAT, PCAT, etc.

There may be some slight variations in specific requirements for specific programs, but if you are short of 8 semesters of lab science and 2 semesters of calculus, I would not be optimistic. Most folks would be skeptical of graduate programs admitting students with less than 8 good solid science courses and a year of calculus. (Most grad programs have higher admissions requirements that are higher than this. Programs with lower requirements are easily identified as diploma mills.)

But you need to do your own homework and get the specific requirements of programs that may be of interest.

Thanks so much!

I was wondering if those pre-masters courses that are offered by some universities would make up? Such as this one, for example: https://www.kic.org.uk/glasgow/courses/pre-masters/science-engineering/

photonsabsent said:
Thanks so much!

I was wondering if those pre-masters courses that are offered by some universities would make up? Such as this one, for example: https://www.kic.org.uk/glasgow/courses/pre-masters/science-engineering/

Translating UK course descriptions to US requirements always has a bit of a challenge, but I don't see anything in your link that looks even "roughly" equivalent to:

US universities are fairly well standardized (not perfect, but fairly consistent) in what college credit in the above courses means. This is because most (or all) of the above courses are REQUIRED components of approved ACS degrees, ABET accredited degrees, admissions into med and vet school, and other degrees approved or accredited by outside agencies.

If you are hoping to gain admission to a graduate science program in the US without a BS in science, I doubt you will succeed with foreign preparation UNLESS the foreign courses you take are widely recognized equivalents to these US courses and commonly accepted for transfer credit.

Dr. Courtney said:
Translating UK course descriptions to US requirements always has a bit of a challenge, but I don't see anything in your link that looks even "roughly" equivalent to:

US universities are fairly well standardized (not perfect, but fairly consistent) in what college credit in the above courses means. This is because most (or all) of the above courses are REQUIRED components of approved ACS degrees, ABET accredited degrees, admissions into med and vet school, and other degrees approved or accredited by outside agencies.

If you are hoping to gain admission to a graduate science program in the US without a BS in science, I doubt you will succeed with foreign preparation UNLESS the foreign courses you take are widely recognized equivalents to these US courses and commonly accepted for transfer credit.
Thanks, this is very helpful.

1. What is a hard science master's degree?

A hard science master's degree is a graduate-level program that focuses on a specific scientific field such as biology, chemistry, physics, or engineering. It typically involves advanced coursework, research, and a thesis or project.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a hard science master's degree?

A hard science master's degree can provide advanced knowledge and skills in a specific scientific field, making you a more competitive and knowledgeable candidate for jobs in the industry. It can also open up opportunities for higher-paying positions and allow for further specialization or research in a particular area.

3. What are the requirements for admission to a hard science master's program?

The requirements for admission vary depending on the specific program, but they typically include a bachelor's degree in a related field, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, standardized test scores (such as the GRE), and a statement of purpose or personal statement.

4. How long does it take to complete a hard science master's program?

The length of a hard science master's program can vary, but it typically takes 1-2 years of full-time study to complete. Part-time options may also be available, which can extend the length of the program.

5. What career opportunities are available with a hard science master's degree?

A hard science master's degree can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research positions in academia or industry, consulting roles, and managerial positions in pharmaceutical or biotechnology companies. It can also serve as a stepping stone to further education, such as a PhD program.