Alternative master's degree with a bachelor in physics

In summary, the speaker is currently in their second year of a physics bachelor's program in the Netherlands with an average score of 8.5. They enjoy physics but have realized that an academic career in the field is not for them. They see themselves working for a company in a research role rather than sitting at a desk in a university setting. They are considering pursuing a master's degree that combines their physics skills with biology, such as biomedical engineering, drug development, or medical machine programming. They are seeking advice on what steps they can take to make the transition smoother, despite having limited knowledge in biology or medical sciences.
Physics2.0
I'm in my second year of my physics bachelor's (in the Netherlands) and my average score is about an 8.5. I like physics, but... I've already realized that an academic career in physics is not at all what i want to pursue.
(eg. no theoretical physics/experimental physics in a lab). Basically, within 10 years, rather than sitting at a desk all day at a university, I see myself working/doing research for a company. That's why I'm thinking about a couple of different masters degrees that still require the skills i learned (ideally, a bs in physics). I am thinking about a master that has something to do with biology (cellular level), developing drugs or medical machines or programming.

What would you advice me to do? What direction should i be looking for and what step could i already take to make the transition somehow a bit smoother (considering I have no advanced knowlegde of biology or medical sciences).

Physics news on Phys.org
So you're interested in biomedical engineering?

So you'd rather sit at a desk all day at a company?

1. What is an alternative master's degree with a bachelor in physics?

An alternative master's degree with a bachelor in physics refers to a graduate program that is not specifically focused on physics, but still accepts applicants with a bachelor's degree in physics. These programs are designed to allow students to apply their physics knowledge and skills to other fields of study.

2. What are some examples of alternative master's degrees for physics graduates?

Examples of alternative master's degrees for physics graduates include: engineering, data science, computer science, economics, finance, and environmental science.

3. How does an alternative master's degree benefit someone with a bachelor in physics?

An alternative master's degree can benefit someone with a bachelor in physics by allowing them to gain specialized knowledge in a specific field, which can make them more competitive in the job market. It can also open up new career opportunities that may not be available with just a bachelor's degree in physics.

4. What are the admission requirements for an alternative master's degree with a bachelor in physics?

The admission requirements for an alternative master's degree with a bachelor in physics may vary depending on the specific program. However, most programs will typically require a minimum GPA, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require prerequisite courses or a relevant GRE score.

5. Can someone with a bachelor in physics pursue a traditional master's degree instead?

Yes, someone with a bachelor in physics can choose to pursue a traditional master's degree in physics. This would involve taking courses and conducting research specifically in the field of physics, rather than applying physics principles to other areas of study. It ultimately depends on the individual's career goals and interests.