2D Elastic Collision Using Conservation of Momentum

The only thing I can think of is that there may be a rounding error or slight difference in how the website is calculating the answer. It might be worth double checking your calculations and trying again.
Dan K

Homework Statement

Two objects collide and bounce off one another. After the collision, object m1 = 2.74 kg moves off at 12.8 m/s at a heading of 295 degrees. Object m2 = 2.28 kg moves off at 12.8 m/s at a heading of 241 degrees. Initially, m2 was traveling at 11.1 m/s at a heading of 334 degrees. What must have been the initial velocity of m1? Give the speed for your first answer and the compass heading for your second answer. (remember, the CAPA abbreviation for degrees is deg)

Homework Equations

P=mv and Pi = Pf and m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

The Attempt at a Solution

I entered into LONCAPA "18.69 m/s" and "244.47 deg" and I get incorrect.
Here are some photos of my work:
https://drive.google.com/a/stewardschool.org/file/d/0BzSEVWCM57xURlRUYm5wbklwWEU/preview
I have spent like an hour on this question alone. Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

Your work looks correct to me. I get the same answer as you.
Of course, you should double check that you have not misread any of the numbers in the original problem statement.

I get the same result as well.

What is 2D elastic collision?

2D elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy and total momentum before and after the collision are the same.

What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in any interaction between objects, the total momentum before the interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction.

How is the conservation of momentum applied in 2D elastic collisions?

In 2D elastic collisions, the conservation of momentum is applied by using the equations:
m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f
m1v1icosθ1 + m2v2icosθ2 = m1v1fcosθ1 + m2v2fcosθ2

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In elastic collisions, the objects involved bounce off each other and retain their original shapes and sizes. In inelastic collisions, the objects stick together and deform upon impact. In both types of collisions, momentum is conserved, but only in elastic collisions is kinetic energy conserved.

How do you calculate the final velocities in a 2D elastic collision?

The final velocities in a 2D elastic collision can be calculated using the equations:
v1f = (m1v1icosθ1 - m2v2icosθ2) / (m1 + m2)
v2f = (2m1v1icosθ1 + m2v2icosθ2) / (m1 + m2)