1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D Momentum Question on pool balls

1. Oct 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Standard pool balls have a mass of 0.17kg. Before a collision, ball A is at rest and ball B is traveling at 4.5 m/s [N]. After the collision, ball B is travelling at 1.6 m/s [N20E]. What is the velocity of ball A?

2. Relevant equations
    pinitial = pfinal
    m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1 + m2v2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe that the initial momentum would be 0.17 * 4.5 m/s = 0.765kg m/s [N].
    The momentum for B is 1.6 * 0.17 = 0.272
    The initial momentum has to equal the final momentum, so:

0.765kg/m/s = 0.272 + A

I drew a triangle for B's angle.

For X component: 0.272 cos 20 deg = 0.255
    For Y component: 0.272 sin 20 deg = 0.09

The X component will just be 0.255 [W] because the X component is 0.
    The Y component will have to be the difference between 0.765 and 0.09302, because you need the north to have the same momentum. The answer to that is 0.7168.

Then I plug them all in and use Pythagorean theorem to find the momentum, which was 0.76 kg m/s.
    I divide that by the mass of 0.17kg and got a velocity of 4.2 m/s.

But unfortunately, the answer is 3 m/s.

How?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2014 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

The North components do not have to have the same momentum. The total momentum in the system cannot change.

4. Oct 10, 2014 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This last statement is not correct. The north component of B's momentum (i.e. mv(cos(20)) + the north component of A's momentum has to equal B's initial momentum. I think you are also assuming that this is an elastic collision. You cannot assume that.
    AM

5. Oct 11, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You may have cos and sin switched over. N20E is 20 degrees E of N, so if you are taking the positive X axis as E then the X component will involve sin of 20 degrees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted