3 concentric shells - potentials

• Thread starter alexmahone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potentials
In summary, the conversation discusses the policy of providing complete solutions on a forum and the potential consequences for students' understanding and academic progress. One person believes in following the rules and only providing guidance, while another believes in offering complete solutions. While the forum rules state to only provide guidance and not complete solutions, it is argued that in some cases, offering complete solutions may be more helpful for students. It is also argued that students may learn more by attempting to solve problems themselves rather than being given the solution.
alexmahone
Consider 3 charged spherical shells A, B, C with charges [itex]q_A, q_B, q_C[/itex] and radii [itex]r_A<r_B<r_C[/itex]

[itex]V_A=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon}[\frac{q_A}{r_A}+\frac{q_B}{r_B}+\frac{q_C}{r_C}][/itex]
[itex]V_B=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon}[\frac{q_A}{r_B}+\frac{q_B}{r_B}+\frac{q_C}{r_C}][/itex]
[itex]V_A=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon}[\frac{q_A}{r_C}+\frac{q_B}{r_C}+\frac{q_C}{r_C}][/itex]

Can anyone derive these? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently I wasted my time. You seem to want someone to solve the whole problem for you by splitting it into several threads. That's not the policy here. In any case, you wrote down the wrong equations.

borgwal said:
Apparently I wasted my time. You seem to want someone to solve the whole problem for you by splitting it into several threads. That's not the policy here. In any case, you wrote down the wrong equations.

Actually you wasted my time on the previous thread, getting us nowhere. Anyway, I solved the problem myself so consider this thread closed.

alexmahone said:
Actually you wasted my time on the previous thread, getting us nowhere. Anyway, I solved the problem myself so consider this thread closed.
Actually, borgwal acted by the book in your other thread.

Perhaps if you paused for a moment in your other thread and actually thought about the question and the information borgwal was giving you, you might have been able to solve it sooner and with less help.

Hootenanny said:
Actually, borgwal acted by the book in your other thread.

Perhaps if you paused for a moment in your other thread and actually thought about the question and the information borgwal was giving you, you might have been able to solve it sooner and with less help.

In which case, I disagree with the forum rules. In some cases, it is more helpful to post the full solution than to beat around the bush for 30 posts.

alexmahone said:
In which case, I disagree with the forum rules.
You can disagree all you like, but they won't change.
alexmahone said:
In some cases, it is more helpful to post the full solution than to beat around the bush for 30 posts.
I disagree, particularly in the case of a forum. If we were to provide students with a complete solution then they could simply copy the solution and hand it in as homework without actually understanding the concepts involved. The student's teacher would then mark the homework and assume that since the student gave a correct solution, they totally understand the material and hence there is no need to offer the student additional help. However, when the student comes to sit the exam there is no-one there to give the student a complete solution and since the student never understood the material in the first case, they fail the exam. Not only does the student fail the exam, but the teacher also looks like a poor teacher for not picking up on their student's lack of knowledge.

That said, I see no problem with students being given complete solutions by their teacher once they have handed in an attempted solution. This way the student gets to see how the question should be tackled and the teacher knowns that the student doesn't understand the material.

I know that you're revising for a physics Olympiad and that your posts aren't homework, but they are exam questions and are therefore classed as homework.

In addition to the previous points, I personally feel that one learns more if one has to think hard about a problem oneself, rather than simply being given the solution. Solving problems independently, particularly in physics, is the only way to really understand the concepts rather than simply knowing how to answer certain types of questions.

Likes 2nafish117

1. What is the concept of 3 concentric shells in potentials?

The concept of 3 concentric shells in potentials refers to a physical system where there are three layers or shells that are arranged around a central point. Each shell has a different potential energy, and the potential energy decreases as you move closer to the central point.

2. How do 3 concentric shells affect the behavior of particles?

The presence of 3 concentric shells in a potential can significantly affect the behavior of particles. The particles will experience different forces depending on which shell they are in, and this can lead to complex trajectories and interactions between particles.

3. What is the significance of 3 concentric shells in potential energy diagrams?

In potential energy diagrams, 3 concentric shells represent a system with multiple energy levels. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of particles and the stability of the system. It can also help in predicting the equilibrium points of the system.

4. Can 3 concentric shells exist in a real-world physical system?

Yes, 3 concentric shells can exist in a real-world physical system. For example, in an atom, there are three energy levels or shells (K, L, and M shells) that electrons can occupy. These shells have different potential energies, and the electrons can transition between them by absorbing or emitting energy.

5. How can we calculate the potential energy of a system with 3 concentric shells?

The potential energy of a system with 3 concentric shells can be calculated by summing up the potential energies of each individual shell. This can be done using mathematical equations or by plotting a potential energy diagram. Additionally, the potential energy can also be measured experimentally using techniques such as spectroscopy.