3 Vectors Issuing from a Common Point

In summary, the homework statement states that if A, B, and C are distinct vectors issuing from a common point, then the vector (\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B})+(\mathbf{B}\times\mathbf{C})+(\mathbf{C}\times\mathbf{A}) is perpendicular to the plane containing their heads. The attempt at a solution starts by determining how the plane containing the heads is related to the vectors themselves. Once this is established, the problem is solved by noting that ABxAC is normal to the plane.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

This one is a good one. This is in the section on cross products:

If A, B, and C are distinct vectors issuing from a common point, show that the vector [itex](\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B})+(\mathbf{B}\times\mathbf{C})+(\mathbf{C}\times\mathbf{A})[/itex] is perpendicular to the plane containing their heads.

Homework Equations

Definition of cross product

The Attempt at a Solution

I am jammed at the start. Can I get just a little hint here? Also, what exactly does it mean for vectors to be distinct? Does it just mean they are not equal to each other? Or that each is not zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:

Homework Statement

This one is a good one. This is in the section on cross products:

If A, B, and C are distinct vectors issuing from a common point, show that the vector [itex](\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B})+(\mathbf{B}\times\mathbf{C})+(\mathbf{C}\times\mathbf{A})[/itex] is perpendicular to the plane containing their heads.

Homework Equations

Definition of cross product

The Attempt at a Solution

I am jammed at the start. Can I get just a little hint here? Also, what exactly does it mean for vectors to be distinct? Does it just mean they are not equal to each other? Or that each is not zero?
It means that none of them is equal to any of the others. It doesn't say that any of them is not zero.

Mark44 said:
It means that none of them is equal to any of the others. It doesn't say that any of them is not zero.

Ok great. It wasn't that clear to me. Any thoughts on how to start this? I need to establish a way of orienting things. First I need to determine how the plane containig the heads is related to the vectors themselves. Perhaps I should construct 2 more vectors, one that connect the heads of A and B and one that connect the heads of A and C? I'm not sure why yet :smile: Just trying to get the gears moving.

You can think of the three vectors as being the supports of the plane that their heads lie in. Yes, construct two more vectors, AB and AC (or BC). The cross product of these vectors will give you the normal to the plane. That vector should be parallel to (a multiple of) the vector (A x B) + (B x C) + (C X A).

Ok. I am just now having time to get back to this one. So we have two new vectors: one from head of A to head of B called AB and one from head of A to head of C called AC. By crossing AB with AC I get

ABxAC = {(AB)y(AC)z - (AB)z(AC)y}i - {(AB)x(AC)z - (AB)z(AC)x}j + {(AB)x(AC)y - (AB)y(AC)x}k.

I know that ABxAC is normal to the plane in which the heads of A, B, and C rest.

Now this should be parallel to [itex]
(\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B})+(\mathbf{B}\times\mathbf{C})+(\mathbf{C}\times\mathbf{A})
[/itex].

If that is the cae, then I can use either cross product or dot product to show that is true. My problem is that I don't think that my expression for ABxAC is very useful since I don't see how it can cancel any terms that would arise of I "dot it" with the vector [itex]
(\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B})+(\mathbf{B}\times\mathbf{C})+(\mathbf{C}\times\mathbf{A})
[/itex] since they don't share any common terms.

Any thoughts on a better approach/naming convention for these vectors?

Saladsamurai said:
Ok. I am just now having time to get back to this one. So we have two new vectors: one from head of A to head of B called AB and one from head of A to head of C called AC. By crossing AB with AC I get

ABxAC = {(AB)y(AC)z - (AB)z(AC)y}i - {(AB)x(AC)z - (AB)z(AC)x}j + {(AB)x(AC)y - (AB)y(AC)x}k.

I know that ABxAC is normal to the plane in which the heads of A, B, and C rest.

Now this should be parallel to [itex]
[/itex].
Yes, that's what you're trying to show.
Saladsamurai said:
If that is the cae, then I can use either cross product or dot product to show that is true. My problem is that I don't think that my expression for ABxAC is very useful since I don't see how it can cancel any terms that would arise of I "dot it" with the vector [itex]
[/itex] since they don't share any common terms.
You don't need either the cross product or the dot product to show that two vectors are parallel. If u and v are parallel, then each one is a scalar multiple of the other. (If they're pointing in opposite directions, the scalar will be negative.)
Saladsamurai said:
Any thoughts on a better approach/naming convention for these vectors?

What are 3 vectors issuing from a common point?

3 vectors issuing from a common point refer to a geometric concept in which three lines or arrows originate from the same point and extend in different directions. These vectors can represent quantities such as force, velocity, or displacement.

How are 3 vectors issuing from a common point represented mathematically?

In mathematics, 3 vectors issuing from a common point can be represented using the coordinate system and vector notation. Each vector is represented by its magnitude and direction, and the common point is usually labeled as the origin (0,0).

What is the significance of 3 vectors issuing from a common point?

The significance of 3 vectors issuing from a common point lies in their ability to represent the direction and magnitude of physical quantities. By combining these vectors, we can accurately represent and analyze various physical phenomena, such as the motion of an object or the forces acting on it.

How can 3 vectors issuing from a common point be added or subtracted?

To add or subtract 3 vectors issuing from a common point, we use the head-to-tail method. This involves placing the head of one vector at the tail of the other and drawing a line from the origin to the head of the final vector. The resulting vector is the sum or difference of the original three vectors.

What are some real-life applications of 3 vectors issuing from a common point?

3 vectors issuing from a common point have various real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, in physics, these vectors can be used to represent the forces acting on an object. In navigation, they can be used to calculate the direction and speed of a moving object. In engineering, they can be used to design and analyze structures under different forces.