Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3d heat equation with constant point source

1. Jul 24, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I'd like to solve the following problem in 3 dimensions:

[itex]\partial_t u(r,t) = D\Delta u(r,t)[/itex]
    [itex]u(r,0) = 0[/itex]
    [itex]u(0,t) = C_o[/itex]

In words, I am looking at a point 'source' that is turned on at t=0 and held at constant temperature. The ultimate goal is to then convolve this solution with constant sources distributed arbitrarily in space.

In 1D, I can find the solution:
    [tex]u(x,t) = C_o \mathrm{erfc}\left(\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4Dt}}\right)[/tex]
    In 3D, I proceed by taking the Laplace transform and solving the resulting Helmholtz equation. After applying the [itex]r\to\infty[/itex] boundary condition,
    [tex]u(r,s)=A\frac{e^{-\sqrt{\frac{s}{D}}r}}{r}[/tex]
    But I can't apply the boundary condition at [itex]u(0,s)[/itex] due to the singularity at the origin. So instead I assume we fix the constant temperature condition on a ball of radius [itex]a[/itex], for [itex]a\ll r[/itex]. If I do that my solution isn't so bad,
    [tex]u(r,t)=C_o\frac{a}{r}\mathrm{erfc}\left(\frac{(a-r)^2}{4Dt}\right)[/tex]
    This matches my simulations rather well, when I add appropriate image sources for my particular geometry. Of course, the solution vanishes as I shrink [itex]a\to0[/itex]. So my question is, is there a way to solve the original problem of a point source? Otherwise using this as a sort of Green's Function for a distributed constant temperature boundary seems suspect.

I feel like this issue comes up a bunch in EM but I'm blanking on how to deal with it here. By the way, a second approach I've tried is to integrate the normal Green's Function over time (i.e. convolving with a step source). There again I get a singularity at r=0.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

An ideal point source does not transmit heat in 3 dimensions, so your solution for the ball with a finite size looks reasonable.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  4. Jul 26, 2013 #3
    Thanks, but I'm a bit confused. What else is the Green's Function if not the response to an ideal point source?

5. Jul 26, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is no response (read: zero temperature change) to an ideal point source.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook