3D Printing Technology/Additive Manufacturing

In summary, 3D printing is becoming more and more popular, with both NASA and ESA using the technology to create parts for various engineering applications. Entry level printers can be expensive, but if you are prepared to invest in a good one, the rewards can be great.
BenjineerM
Hello Everyone,

I am currently in my last year of studies, working towards a BSc in Mechanical Engineering. Anyway, I recently came across a very interesting article about the recent advancements in industrial 3D printing. The article discusses 'AMAZE', a project launched by the European Space Agency (ESA) to use 3D printing technology to produce parts for all sorts of engineering applications such as spacecraft 's, jet engines and automotive. The eventual goal is to be able to print a whole satellite! Also, NASA has already 3D printed a rocket injector; a part which is usually comprised of 100+ components when produced from traditional casting methods. However, with 3D printing technology the component can be produced using only two parts. I have left the link of the article for those you interested.

http://rt.com/news/3d-print-satellite-metal-esa-232/

It's obvious this technology is going to drastically impact manufacturing in the close future & although it has exponentially developed in the past few years, it is still not a fully matured technology. It is extremely exciting to be living in an era where new technologies are going to change manufacturing as we know it.

So, with my new found interest in 3D printing technology I have took it upon myself to start searching for a decent entry level 3D printer in which I can learn more about the technology but also improve my 3D modelling skills.

Can anyone offer me advice on what I should consider before buying a 3D printer?
I'm also intrigued to hear any reviews on standard entry level printers (£500 - £1200).

Cheers Guys!

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you are interested, my brother built his own at a fraction of the cost of buying one, he is making his own gears
etc from software of the internet.
If you like i can get all the details from him.

One of the main things to consider is that it is expensive—really expensive. Not just for a 3D printer of decent quality, but for the consumables as well.

With that said, I've only ever touched a friends MakerBot, he raved about it.

1. What is 3D printing technology/additive manufacturing?

3D printing technology or additive manufacturing is a process of creating three-dimensional objects by adding layers of material on top of each other. This is in contrast to traditional manufacturing methods, which involve subtracting material from a larger piece to create the desired shape.

2. How does 3D printing technology work?

3D printing works by taking a digital design or model and slicing it into thin layers. These layers are then created one by one by the 3D printer, using materials such as plastic, metal, or even food. The printer follows the design and creates each layer by fusing or solidifying the material, until the entire object is complete.

3. What are the benefits of using 3D printing technology?

There are several benefits of using 3D printing technology, including the ability to create complex and intricate designs, faster production times, and cost-effectiveness for small batch production. It also allows for customization and personalization, as each object can be unique and tailored to specific needs.

4. What are the limitations of 3D printing technology?

Some limitations of 3D printing technology include the size and scale of objects that can be printed, as most printers have a limited build volume. The materials used in 3D printing also have limitations in terms of strength and durability, and may not be suitable for certain applications. Additionally, the cost of 3D printing can be high for large-scale production.

5. How is 3D printing technology being used in different industries?

3D printing technology is being used in various industries such as healthcare, aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing. In healthcare, it is being used to create personalized medical devices and prosthetics. In aerospace, it is being used to create lightweight and complex parts. In the automotive industry, it is being used for rapid prototyping and creating custom parts. And in manufacturing, it is being used for small-scale production and customization.