3D Printed Metal Custom Tool Request

In summary, a 3D printer can be used to create a custom low profile socket wrench for 10 mm bolts or nuts. The smallest mass produced one is 3/8" drive at 17.3 mm in overall length, and requires the addition of a 3/8 drive ratchet or lever. The used to make a smaller one that was a twist socket that would damage a good nut or bolt. The smallest mass produced profile tool available for a non-damaged 10 mm bolt or nut is a 1/4" external hex driven Wera socket with an overall length of 18 mm. The socket won't work for my application due to the lack of clearance. A modification of an existing socket might be the easiest option.
YoshiMoshi
Does anyone on here have a 3D printer for metal? I'm looking to get a custom made socket wrench fabricated for 10 mm bolts or nuts. I'm looking for one that is extremely low profile. I don't care about the drive style (1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1", external hex etc).

The smallest mass produced one I could find was 3/8" drive at 17.3 mm in overall length
https://shop.snapon.com/product/Low...ic-10-mm-Flank-Drive-Low-Profile-Socket/RFM10
This however would require 3/8 drive ratchet or lever adding to the overall length above the nut or bolt.

The used to make a smaller on that was a twist socket that would damage a good nut or bolt
https://shop.snapon.com/product/Ext...nal-Drive-Hex-Head-Slim-Twist-Socket/110STSY2
That is only 9.5 mm in overall length, and it's a 5/8" external hex driven. Meaning I can just use a box end wrench that is 5/8", so the overall length above the bolt or nut would be 9.5 mm. I called them and asked them if they had something similar to this that wasn't a twist socket, and they said they don't.

I found a Wera socket whose overall length is 18 mm.
1655219657364.png

It is driven by a 1/4" external hex. So I could use a box end wrench to rotate it. This seems to be the smallest mass produced profile tool I could find for a non-damaged 10 mm bolt or nut, requiring only 18 mm above the nut or bolt.

This won't work for my application. I'm trying to remove a bolt on a transmission pan that is right up against the subframe with very little clearance. 18 mm is to large. I can't find something smaller. Can someone with a 3D printer make a smaller 10 mm socket? Not sure how much this would cost. Or if someone has gone to a professional company that manufacturers custom tools, how much would something like this cost? This is merely out of convenience for me. I could always go through the hassle of undoing one of the mounts and jack it up. Much faster if I can just get a slimer profile socket. So if fabrication of a smaller socket will cost way to much money, then it's not worth it to me.

Please and thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have solved similar problems by modifying purchased sockets. The socket on the left was modified for an application similar to yours. It has two flats ground so that it could be turned using an open end wrench. It think it was for removing a bellhousing that was up tight against the firewall. The socket on the right was turned down to fit a nut inside a tight hole.

Sockets.jpg

Likes berkeman and hutchphd
Is there a reason you can't use a box end wrench or gear wrench? I assume there's a lip on the transmission pan that prevents clearance? How about an offset box end?
-
Otherwise @jrmichler has the right idea. Modify an existing socket. If you're going to start grinding on one you can also grind it more shallow to help with clearance.

There is indeed a lip on the pan. I remember trying an offset box end wrench before and the walls of the box end were to thick. But I guess it could be one option. Measure the clearance between the head of the bolt and lip on the pan, and find a 10 mm offset box end wrench whose walls would be thin enough.

YoshiMoshi said:
There is indeed a lip on the pan. I remember trying an offset box end wrench before and the walls of the box end were to thick. But I guess it could be one option. Measure the clearance between the head of the bolt and lip on the pan, and find a 10 mm offset box end wrench whose walls would be thin enough.
It does seem that a lot of the offset box wrenched I've seen do have a thick wall. They are likely inexpensive wrenches worth the risk of ruining one by grinding them smaller. But I would modify a socket ahead of modifying an offset box wrench.

Can you maybe just weld a hex nut on the top end of a low-profile socket, where the ID of the hex nut matches the OD of the socket? You might need to clean the threads out some inside the nut to get a good friction fit on the socket body before tack-welding it on...

EDIT -- I suppose you could also just lay the nut on top of the socket and tack weld it to the end; it doesn't have to friction fit over the end of the socket. Use a thin hex nut to give you more clearance as well...

Likes Tom.G

What is 3D printed metal custom tool request?

3D printed metal custom tool request is a process of using additive manufacturing technology to create customized tools made out of metal materials. This allows for highly precise and complex designs that may not be achievable through traditional manufacturing methods.

How does 3D printing metal custom tools work?

3D printing metal custom tools works by using a computer-aided design (CAD) software to create a digital model of the tool. This model is then sent to a 3D printer, which uses a laser or electron beam to melt and fuse metal powder together layer by layer, creating the physical tool.

What are the benefits of 3D printed metal custom tools?

Some of the benefits of 3D printed metal custom tools include faster production times, lower costs, increased design flexibility, and the ability to create highly complex and intricate designs. Additionally, 3D printed metal tools can be more durable and have better performance compared to traditional tools.

What industries use 3D printed metal custom tools?

3D printed metal custom tools are used in a wide range of industries such as aerospace, automotive, healthcare, and manufacturing. These tools can be used for various applications including prototyping, production, and maintenance and repair.

What are the limitations of 3D printed metal custom tools?

Some of the limitations of 3D printed metal custom tools include the high cost of equipment and materials, limited size and weight capabilities, and the need for post-processing and finishing to achieve desired surface properties. Additionally, some metals may not be suitable for 3D printing due to their properties or high melting points.

Back