3D Space-Function of two variables

In summary, the conversation discussed converting a function of one variable into a function of two variables and the confusion surrounding it. The suggested conversion was f(x,y) with endpoints of [0,1]x[0,1]. It was confirmed that this conversion is true if the new function is defined as g(x,y) = f(x) + y. The question of what the interval would be for the two variable function was also raised, and it was concluded that the domain could be [0,1]x[c,d] as long as the function g is defined to work in this way.
nalkapo
Hello everybody,
I am studying a theorem and I want to convert a function of one variable into a function of two variables. At first steps I am really confused and don't know what to do.
Can you help me with this step:

function with one variable:
given; f(x),
f(0)=f(1)=0 on [a,b]=[0,1]

->I converted as: f(x,y),
f(0,0)=f(1,0)=0 on [a,b]x[c,d] = [0,1]x[0,1]

Is that conversion true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you define your new function as g(x, y) = f(x) + y, then it holds.

radou said:
Well, if you define your new function as g(x, y) = f(x) + y, then it holds.

thanks radou for the answer, let me make my question more clear:
single variable function is on the interval [0,1].
if I prove this for two variables, then what the interval will be?
will it be an interval or an area like a rectengular [a,b]x[c,d]?
I thought the endpoints should be [0,1]x[0,1]. is that true?

Your domain can be [0, 1] x any closed interval containing 0, if you want the function g to work this way.

What is the definition of 3D space-function of two variables?

A 3D space-function of two variables is a mathematical function that maps two independent variables to a point in three-dimensional space. It can be visualized as a surface in 3D space, where the height of the surface corresponds to the output of the function.

What are the applications of 3D space-function of two variables?

3D space-functions of two variables are used in many fields, including computer graphics, physics, and engineering. They can be used to model real-world phenomena, analyze data, and create visualizations.

How is a 3D space-function of two variables represented mathematically?

A 3D space-function of two variables is typically represented using the notation f(x,y) = z, where x and y are the independent variables and z is the output or dependent variable. The function can be graphed in 3D space using a coordinate system with x and y axes and a z-axis representing the output.

What is the difference between a 3D space-function of two variables and a 3D space-function of one variable?

A 3D space-function of one variable only has one independent variable, while a 3D space-function of two variables has two independent variables. This means that the output of a 3D space-function of one variable can be represented as a curve in 3D space, while the output of a 3D space-function of two variables is a surface.

How can 3D space-functions of two variables be used to solve real-world problems?

3D space-functions of two variables can be used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena in the real world. They can also be used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of the function, and in numerical analysis, where approximations of the function can be used to solve equations and make predictions.