1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D tension problem (static equilibrium)

1. Jan 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of weight 50N is hung by 3 cables from the ceiling. Each rope ZA, ZB, ZC converges at Z so that they form a tetrahedron. (ZA=ZB=ZC=AB=BC=CA). Find the magnitude of the tension of each cable.

a=0
    tetrahedron symmetry

2. Relevant equations
    F=mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    I realized that T1=T2=T3 due to the symmetrical nature of tetrahedrons. The angles weren't given but each side of a tetrahedron is composed of 3x60 degree angles.

My approach was to represent the problem in 2D since there were some obvious vector symmetries in the x,y plane.
    I proceeded to decompose the F(x,y) components, which cancel each other out. Can be proven with a simple qualitative 2D vector sum, even though the quantities weren't given.
    I then tried: F(z) = T1 sin + T2 sinβ + T3 sinβ = 50N.
    or
    (3)(T)(sinβ) = 50N

But then I couldn't figure out how to find β. Initially I assumed it was 60 degrees, but after checking my work the math didn't work out.
    I'm basically curious as to what is the thought process required to solve a problem like this, or a more general case where there aren't any nice symmetric features.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could check out the Wikipedia article on tetrahedrons .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook