Determining equations for tension in 3D statics problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive equations for the tension in cables AB and CD and the reaction at O, in terms of the placement of a point load P. The end goal is to create a for loop in MATLAB using various values of x. The conversation also mentions using summation of forces and moments to solve the problem and finding the unit vector for the direction of the tensions. The final question is about how to set up a force equilibrium equation using the unit vectors.
VS9

Homework Statement

The steel beam is supported by cables AB and CD and a ball-and-socket joint at O. The position of the vertical point load, P influences the reaction at O as well as the tension in each cable.
First you need to derive the equations for the tension in cable AB, the tension in cable CD and the reaction at O in terms of x, which represents the placement of the point load, P, measured from the axis origin, point O.

We are given length of the beam and distances between things, but no other numbers.
The end goal is to put the three derived equations in a for loop for various values of x MATLAB.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma F = 0[/tex]
[tex]\Sigma M = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve problems using summation of forces and moments for problems where we must find forces acting on things, but I don't know how to set up a basic equation for tension in 3 dimensions.

I'm assuming I must set up vectors for the direction of the tensions, but am not exactly sure how to for this problem.

For example the direction vector of AB is rAB= rB-rA=-6i+2j+3k, and the unit vector is
λAB=-6/7i+2/7j+3/7k with i, j, k being the vectors corresponding to x, y, and z.

If this is correct then the unit vector for CD should be λAB=-3/5i+4/5j

Where do I go from here? I'm thinking I need to make one force equilibrium equation for everything in the system, but I don't know how I would split that up into several equations.https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/89824 https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/89824

Attachments

• beamdiagram.JPG
    beamdiagram.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 2,608
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A Tension is a pull along the direction the [ideal] rope.
So, if you know their directions (from the relevant unit vectors), the missing pieces are the unknown magnitudes of those tensions (which are coefficients of those unit-vectors).

robphy said:
A Tension is a pull along the direction the [ideal] rope.
So, if you know their directions (from the relevant unit vectors), the missing pieces are the unknown magnitudes of those tensions (which are coefficients of those unit-vectors).
So if I find the unit vector for CD, do I just add the coefficients of i and j together to make a force equilibrium equation?

The unit vector for CD should be λAB=-3/5i+4/5j, correct?

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of tension in 3D statics problems?

Tension is a force that is created when an object is pulled or stretched. In 3D statics problems, tension refers to the force that is applied to an object in a specific direction, which causes the object to resist being pulled apart.

2. How do you determine the equations for tension in 3D statics problems?

The equations for tension in 3D statics problems can be determined by using the principles of statics, which involve analyzing the forces acting on an object in equilibrium. The equations can be derived by considering the forces acting in each direction and applying Newton's laws of motion.

3. What factors affect the tension in a 3D statics problem?

The tension in a 3D statics problem is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the weight of the object, and the angle at which the force is applied. Additionally, the geometry and material properties of the object can also impact the tension.

4. Can tension be negative in a 3D statics problem?

No, tension cannot be negative in a 3D statics problem. Tension is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In a 3D system, tension is always a positive force, as it is pulling or stretching an object in a specific direction.

5. How can the equations for tension in 3D statics problems be applied in real-world situations?

The equations for tension in 3D statics problems can be applied in many real-world situations, such as analyzing the stability of structures, designing bridges or buildings, and understanding the forces acting on objects in space. They can also be used to calculate the safety and efficiency of various mechanical systems.