3D Statics Equilibrium - Dot Everything with Vector P?

In summary, the problem involves a bead B sliding without friction on a fixed bar AC, connected to an elastic cord BD with a spring constant of 3 N/mm and an unstretched length of 20 mm. The bead has a force of magnitude P in the direction of BC and is positioned halfway between points A and C. To find the equilibrium, the sum of forces (P, FBD, and R) is set to 0. Dotting with P eliminates R, but introduces P.FBD. Dotting with a vector perpendicular to R may eliminate it without this complication. The notation for P as both a vector and its magnitude adds confusion.
absolutezer0es

Homework Statement

Bead B has negligible weight and slides without friction on rigid fixed bar AC. An elastic cord BD has spring constant k = 3 N∕mm and 20 mm unstretched length, and bead B has a force of magnitude P in direction BC. If bead B is positioned halfway between points A and C, determine the value of P needed for equilibrium, and the reaction between bead B and rod AC.
HW_particles_F_1400.png

Homework Equations

See the equations below.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll summarize all the steps I've taken.

1) I found position vectors BC and BD.

2) Found unit vectors BC and BD.

3) Calculated vector P = P(uBC).

4) Calculated FBD using F=kδ.

5) Found force vector FBD using vector FBD = FBD(uBD).

Now from here is where I believe I'm having trouble. The sum of all the forces is equal to 0, and my FBD includes vector P, vector FBD pointing towards D, and vector R, which is perpendicular to vector P at point B. I know:

P + FBD + R = 0 [these are all vectors]

My strategy was to dot each of those terms with vector P, yielding:

(P⋅P) + (FBD⋅P) + (R⋅P) = 0

Giving:

(P⋅P) + (FBD⋅P) = 0, since the third term above is 0 (because they are at right angles).

Is this sound mathematics after my step 5, or should I approach this another way? I even tried dotting each vector with its appropriate unit vector (P with uAB, FBD with uBC, and R with uBC), but neither approach is getting me correct answers.

I'm actually closer with my initial approaching (dotting everything with P) - I think.

Ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dotting with P has the benefit of eliminating R, but at the cost of introducing P.FBD. Can you think of a vector to take the dot product with that gets rid of R without introducing that complication?

The only way I can think of to eliminate R by dotting the entire equation with a vector is something that is perpendicular to it.

In that case, would vector uBC work?

My confusion then is with vector P. We've already defined vector P as vector P = P(uBC). Would the equation then become:

(P⋅uBC⋅uBC)+(FBD⋅uBC) = 0, where P and FBD are forces?

Another source of confusion - the second term above is still a vector. How do we reconcile that?

absolutezer0es said:
The only way I can think of to eliminate R by dotting the entire equation with a vector is something that is perpendicular to it.

In that case, would vector uBC work?

My confusion then is with vector P. We've already defined vector P as vector P = P(uBC). Would the equation then become:

(P⋅uBC⋅uBC)+(FBD⋅uBC) = 0, where P and FBD are forces?

Another source of confusion - the second term above is still a vector. How do we reconcile that?
There seems to be some notation confusion with P. You are using it both as a vector and as the magnitude of that vector. In your last equation above, it is the magnitude, no? The equation sums two terms, each being a dot product and hence a scalar.

1. What is 3D Statics Equilibrium?

3D Statics Equilibrium is a branch of mechanics that studies the equilibrium of objects in three-dimensional space. It deals with the forces acting on an object and how they balance each other out, resulting in a state of motionlessness or constant motion.

2. What is the importance of 3D Statics Equilibrium in science?

3D Statics Equilibrium is important in science because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in a state of balance. It is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture to design and analyze structures and systems that can withstand external forces without collapsing.

3. How is 3D Statics Equilibrium different from 2D Statics Equilibrium?

3D Statics Equilibrium deals with objects in three-dimensional space, while 2D Statics Equilibrium only considers objects in two-dimensional space. This means that in 3D Statics Equilibrium, there are three axes of rotation and forces can act in any direction, whereas in 2D Statics Equilibrium, there is only one axis of rotation and forces can only act in the plane of the object.

4. What is the role of vectors in 3D Statics Equilibrium?

Vectors play a crucial role in 3D Statics Equilibrium as they represent the magnitude and direction of forces acting on an object. By using vectors, we can determine the net force and torque acting on an object and analyze its state of equilibrium.

5. How is 3D Statics Equilibrium applied in real-life situations?

3D Statics Equilibrium is used in various real-life situations, such as designing and building structures like buildings, bridges, and dams. It is also used in the aerospace industry to ensure that aircraft and spacecraft are stable and can withstand external forces during flight. Additionally, 3D Statics Equilibrium is used in biomechanics to study the forces acting on the human body and analyze movements and postures.