1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4 questions about distance travelled and magnitude of displacement

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. is it possible for the total distance travelled to equal the magnitude of the displacement? if "no" why not? if "yes" give an example

2. is it possible for the total distance travelled to exceed the magnitude of the displacement? if "no" why not? if "yes" give an example

3.is it possible for the magnitude of the displacement to exceed the total distance travelled? if "no" why not? if "yes" give an example

4. can the average speed ever equal the magnitude of the average velocity? if "no" why not? if "yes" give an example

Thanks in advance, Kelan
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

ok so i know that the magnitude can not be greater then the distance travelled but i do not know why i need it explained to me i only know this because the teacher told us

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2
    You need to make an attempt at answering.

4. Feb 11, 2008 #3
    Are you not going to have a go yourself first?

5. Feb 11, 2008 #4
    try thinking about the difference between displacement and distance and come up with scenario's that will help you answer the question.

6. Feb 11, 2008 #5
    1. If you travel in a straight line...then yes. Both can be the same.

2. Yes, go north 20, go south 30. Your displacement is 10 and your distance is 50.

you can do the rest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?