4 vector upper and lower indices

In summary, the derivative of a function with respect to a derivative of another function is given by:\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}=\frac{\partial}{\partial_\mu}\bigg(\frac{1}{2}\partial^\mu\phi\partial_\mu\phi\bigg)=\frac{\partial}{\partial_\mu}\bigg(\frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu}\partial_\mu\phi\partial_\mu\phi\bigg)=\frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu}\frac{\partial}{\partial_\mu}\bigg(\partial
Plaetean
I'm working through some intro QFT using Peskin accompanied by David Tong's notes, and have a question over notation. From Peskin I have:

[tex]
x^\mu=x^0+x^1+x^2+x^3=(t,\mathbf{x})
[/tex]
and
[tex]
x_\mu=g^{\mu\nu}x^\nu=x^0-x^1-x^2-x^3=(t,-\mathbf{x})
[/tex]
so
[tex]
p_\mu p^\mu=g^{\mu\nu}p^\mu p^\nu=E^2-|\mathbf{p}|^2
[/tex] with
[tex]
\partial_\mu=\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}=\bigg(\frac{\partial}{\partial x^0},\mathbf{\nabla}\bigg)
[/tex]

Does this mean that:

[tex]
\partial^\mu=\frac{\partial}{\partial x_\mu}=\bigg(\frac{\partial}{\partial x^0},-\mathbf{\nabla}\bigg)
[/tex]

and if so, is there any reason why the upper/lower index flips when expressing a derivative compared with when writing just a normal vector? It's a bit of a pain when you're starting out so I'm guessing there must be a good reason for it that emerges later.

I'd also like someone to just confirm that I've taken this derivative properly (might seem a bit laboured but I want to make triple sure I've got the notation correct right away):

If we have a Lagrangian density of

[tex]
L=\frac{1}{2}\partial^\mu\phi\partial_\mu\phi
[/tex]the derivative with respect to dphi is:[tex]
\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}=\frac{\partial}{\partial_\mu}\bigg(\frac{1}{2}\partial^\mu\phi\partial_\mu\phi\bigg)=\frac{\partial}{\partial_\mu}\bigg(\frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu}\partial_\mu\phi\partial_\mu\phi\bigg)=\frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu}\frac{\partial}{\partial_\mu}\bigg(\partial_\mu\phi\partial_\mu\phi\bigg)=\frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu}\frac{\partial}{\partial_\mu}(\partial_\mu\phi)^2
[/tex]

[tex]
=g^{\mu\nu}\partial_\mu\phi=\partial^\mu\phi
[/tex]

Thanks as always to you good folk.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is correct - but your working needs some work - you are introducing too many repeated indices that mess up with the summation convention and confuse you. It is probably a fortunate coincidence in this case that your sloppy working produces the correct result!

In particular,
[tex]g^{\mu \nu} \partial_\mu = \partial^\nu \neq \partial^\mu[/tex]

It is good bookkeeping practice to avoid conflicts between indices that are not related - i.e. you should rename the dummy indexes so they do not coincide. As an illustration of the correct way you should do this calculation:
[tex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)} = \frac{\partial}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)} \left[\frac{1}{2} \partial^{\alpha} \phi\,\partial_{\alpha} \phi\right] = \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)} \left[g^{\alpha \beta} \partial_{\beta} \phi\,\partial_{\alpha} \phi \right]
= \frac{1}{2} g^{\alpha \beta} \left[\delta^{\mu}_{\,\beta} \, \partial_{\alpha} \phi + \partial_{\beta} \phi\, \delta^{\mu}_{\,\alpha}\right]\\
= \frac{1}{2} \left[ g^{\alpha \mu}\, \partial_{\alpha} \phi + g^{\mu \beta}\, \partial_{\beta} \phi \right] = \partial^{\mu} \phi
[/tex]
This may seem awfully tedious, and as you get more familiar, there is a tendency to simply skip steps, but for more complicated scenarios, it is extremely important that we keep track of the indices very carefully.

Fightfish said:
The answer is correct - but your working needs some work - you are introducing too many repeated indices that mess up with the summation convention and confuse you. It is probably a fortunate coincidence in this case that your sloppy working produces the correct result!

In particular,
[tex]g^{\mu \nu} \partial_\mu = \partial^\nu \neq \partial^\mu[/tex]

It is good bookkeeping practice to avoid conflicts between indices that are not related - i.e. you should rename the dummy indexes so they do not coincide. As an illustration of the correct way you should do this calculation:
[tex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)} = \frac{\partial}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)} \left[\frac{1}{2} \partial^{\alpha} \phi\,\partial_{\alpha} \phi\right] = \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)} \left[g^{\alpha \beta} \partial_{\beta} \phi\,\partial_{\alpha} \phi \right]
= \frac{1}{2} g^{\alpha \beta} \left[\delta^{\mu}_{\,\beta} \, \partial_{\alpha} \phi + \partial_{\beta} \phi\, \delta^{\mu}_{\,\alpha}\right]\\
= \frac{1}{2} \left[ g^{\alpha \mu}\, \partial_{\alpha} \phi + g^{\mu \beta}\, \partial_{\beta} \phi \right] = \partial^{\mu} \phi
[/tex]
This may seem awfully tedious, and as you get more familiar, there is a tendency to simply skip steps, but for more complicated scenarios, it is extremely important that we keep track of the indices very carefully.

Thanks for this - its kind of bizarre that I have never come across this kind of thing explicitly in my courses, and I'm finding it really hard to find clear online material on it as well.

1. What are 4 vector upper and lower indices?

4 vector upper and lower indices refer to the notation used to represent the components of a 4-dimensional vector in physics and mathematics. The upper index, also known as the contravariant index, denotes the vector's components in the space-time dimensions, while the lower index, also known as the covariant index, denotes the vector's components in the momentum dimensions.

2. How are 4 vector upper and lower indices used in relativity?

In relativity, 4 vector upper and lower indices are used to represent the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in space-time. They are also used to represent the energy and momentum of particles, as well as the electromagnetic fields in the theory of electromagnetism.

3. What is the difference between upper and lower indices?

The main difference between upper and lower indices is their transformation properties under coordinate transformations. Upper indices transform in the opposite direction as the coordinates (contravariant), while lower indices transform in the same direction (covariant). This distinction is important in maintaining the invariance of equations in different coordinate systems.

4. How are 4 vector upper and lower indices manipulated in calculations?

In calculations, 4 vector upper and lower indices are manipulated using the Einstein summation convention, where repeated upper and lower indices are summed over. This simplifies calculations and allows for a concise representation of equations and physical quantities.

5. Can 4 vector upper and lower indices be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, 4 vector upper and lower indices can be extended to higher dimensions, such as 5-dimensional space-time or beyond. In these cases, the number of upper and lower indices may increase to represent the additional dimensions, but the same principles and notation apply.