1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of lagrangian density

1. Nov 25, 2015 #1
    i have a mathematical question which is quite similar to one asked before, still a bit different
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...agrangian-density-for-real-k-g-theory.781472/

the first term of KG-Lagrangian is: [itex]\frac{1}{2}(\partial^{\mu} \phi)(\partial_{\mu} \phi)[/itex]
    when i try do find [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial^{\mu}\phi)}[/itex], i have two different options, where of course only one can be right.

1) [itex]\partial^{\mu} \phi[/itex] and [itex]\partial_{\mu} \phi[/itex] are different things, so one gets: [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial^{\mu}\phi)} = \frac{1}{2}\partial_{\mu} \phi[/itex]

2) [itex]\partial_{\mu} \phi = \eta_{\mu \nu} \partial^{\nu} \phi \rightarrow \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial^{\mu}\phi)} = \frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial^{\mu}\phi)}(\frac{1}{2}\eta_{\mu \nu}(\partial^{\nu} \phi)(\partial^{\mu} \phi)) = \partial_{\mu} \phi[/itex]

i am confused. several sources tell me that 2) is right, but my understanding of partial derivative tells me to do 1).

as i think of it, one may not simply put equations into others when doing the partial derivative, because it then changes. like z(x, y(x)) = 2x + y(x). partial derivative with respect to x gives 2, but it changes when i put in y(x).

help please :)
    thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Option 2 is correct. The quantities ##\partial_\mu\phi## and ##\partial^\mu\phi## may not be equal, but they do not correspond to different degrees of freedom (they are related by a sign). Compare this to differentiating ##-x## with respect to ##x##, ##-x## is not equal to ##x##, but it is directly dependent.

4. Nov 25, 2015 #3

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, they are definitely not independent. If you write it with the metric, then this becomes more obvious:

[itex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2}g^{\mu \nu} (\partial_{\mu} \phi\ \partial_{\nu} \phi)[/itex]

So [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial^{\sigma} \phi)} = \frac{1}{2}g^{\mu \nu} (\delta^\sigma_\mu \partial_{\nu} \phi + \delta^\sigma_\nu \partial_{\mu} \phi) = \frac{1}{2} (g^{\sigma \nu} \partial_{\nu} \phi + g^{\mu \sigma} \partial_{\mu} \phi) = \frac{1}{2} (\partial^{\sigma} \phi + \partial^{\sigma} \phi) = \partial^{\sigma} \phi [/itex]

5. Nov 25, 2015 #4
    i do not say they are independent. y(x) and x are not indepentent either, still in a partial derivative of z with respect to x, one does not consider the y(x).

so orodruin, i see that they are related by the metric. y(x) is also related to x by its defining function. so i do still not get the point, where my z-function analogy is failing.
    do y and x correspond to different degrees of freedom in z?

regards, kawillzocken

6. Nov 25, 2015 #5

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let's make it a lot simpler, by considering only 1 space dimension and 1 time dimension. Then the lagrangian is:

[itex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2}(\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} - \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x})[/itex]

I think it's pretty obviousthat [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t})} = \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}[/itex]. Right?

7. Nov 25, 2015 #6

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In a second-order differential equation for [itex]\phi[/itex] (which is what the lagrangian equations of motion produce), to know [itex]\phi[/itex] everywhere, it is good enough to specify [itex]\phi, \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial z}, \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}[/itex] at a single point [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0, t_0)[/itex]. Those are 5 completely independent choices.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook