4-velocity length under a force

In summary: Yes, E=p^0. With 4-vector A^\mu=(V,{\vec A}) potentialand scalar potential S, the equation is(E-V)^2=({\vec p}-{\vec A})^2-(m+S)^2.
pellman
4-velocity "length" under a force

In relativity we have [tex]u^\mu u_\mu=c^2[/tex], which is just another way of saying that [tex]p^\mu p_\mu=m^2c^2[/tex] or [tex]E^2=m^2c^4+p^2c^2[/tex].

This is relatively (no pun!) easy to see for a free particle. But if we have a vector potential acting on the particle, is the above still true? Or do we have instead that

[tex](p_\mu +qA_\mu)(p^\mu+qA^\mu)= constant[/tex]

?

Physics news on Phys.org

Ok. I think I have it. It is actually

[tex](p_\mu -qA_\mu)(p^\mu-qA^\mu)= m^2c^2[/tex]

but p here is the canonical conjugate momentum

[tex]p_\mu =u_\mu+qA_\mu[/tex]

so when you put that in, you still get [tex]u_\mu u^\mu=c^2[/tex].

I'd still love to hear if you experts concur.

pellman said:
Ok. I think I have it. It is actually

[tex](p_\mu -qA_\mu)(p^\mu-qA^\mu)= m^2c^2[/tex]

but p here is the canonical conjugate momentum

[tex]p_\mu =u_\mu+qA_\mu[/tex]

so when you put that in, you still get [tex]u_\mu u^\mu=c^2[/tex].
This is correct. That is how vector potentials affect the otion of particles.
For a 4-scalar potential S, you would let m-->m+S.

clem said:
This is correct. That is how vector potentials affect the otion of particles.
For a 4-scalar potential S, you would let m-->m+S.

Really? that would be weird. This would be identical to situation in which the particle's mass depended on its position in spacetime--its actual rest mass, not its "relativistic mass".

No, m is still the invariant mass(which is equal to the rest mass). It is the energy E that changes with position.

clem said:
No, m is still the invariant mass(which is equal to the rest mass). It is the energy E that changes with position.

Isn't energy the same as p^0? And isn't that modified already by the 0th component of the vector potential?

We're going off on a tangent here, but I'm curious.

Yes, E=p^0. With 4-vector [tex]A^\mu=(V,{\vec A})[/tex] potential
and scalar potential S, the equation is
[tex](E-V)^2=({\vec p}-{\vec A})^2-(m+S)^2.[/tex]

1. What is 4-velocity?

4-velocity is a mathematical vector quantity used in special relativity to describe the movement of an object in four-dimensional spacetime. It takes into account both the spatial components of an object's velocity as well as its temporal component.

2. How is 4-velocity calculated?

4-velocity is calculated by taking the derivative of an object's position with respect to proper time. This results in a four-dimensional vector with units of velocity.

3. What is the relationship between 4-velocity and length?

Under the laws of special relativity, an object's 4-velocity is directly related to its length. As an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its length in the direction of motion will appear to decrease, as observed by an outside observer.

4. How does force affect 4-velocity?

Under the laws of special relativity, force does not affect an object's 4-velocity directly. However, an object's 4-velocity can change due to the acceleration caused by a force.

5. What is the significance of 4-velocity in physics?

4-velocity is an important concept in special relativity, as it helps describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds. It is also used in calculations involving energy and momentum in relativistic systems.