1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

45 degree strain-stress rosette

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    can anyone see where i have gone wrong? i am talking about question 4.17 below

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_H4Iz7SmBrbk/SwEB0MVvMyI/AAAAAAAAB_Q/Uy80NKhkTOI/Capture.JPG [Broken]

what i did was define [tex]\epsilon[/tex]1 [tex]\epsilon[/tex]2 and [tex]\epsilon[/tex]3
    [tex]\epsilon[/tex]x=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]1
    [tex]\epsilon[/tex]y=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]3
    2[tex]\epsilon[/tex]xy=2[tex]\epsilon[/tex]2-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]1-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]3

[tex]\sigma[/tex]x=[tex]\frac{E}{(1+\nu)(1-2\nu)}[/tex]*[(1-[tex]\nu[/tex])[tex]\epsilon[/tex]1+[tex]\nu[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]3]

[tex]\sigma[/tex]y=[tex]\frac{E}{(1+\nu)(1-2\nu)}[/tex]*[(1-[tex]\nu[/tex])[tex]\epsilon[/tex]3+[tex]\nu[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]1]

[tex]\sigma[/tex]xy=G*2*[tex]\epsilon[/tex]xy=[tex]\frac{E}{2(1+\nu)}[/tex](2[tex]\epsilon[/tex]2-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]1-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]3)

---[tex]\frac{E}{2(1+\nu)}[/tex]=A---

now to find the principal stresses

[tex]\sigma[/tex]=[tex]\frac{\sigmax + \sigmay}{2}[/tex] +- [tex]\sqrt{\frac{\sigmax - \sigmay}{2}}^2+[tex]\sigma[/tex]xy^2[/tex]

after plugging all the sigma's in i get

=A*([tex]\epsilon[/tex]1+[tex]\epsilon[/tex]3)/(1-2[tex]\nu[/tex]) +- [tex]\sqrt{A^2*(\epsilon1-\epsilon3)^2+(A*((2[tex]\epsilon[/tex]2-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]1-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]3))^2}[/tex]

which is all perfect except for that in the answer the denominator for the first part is : 2(1-[tex]\nu)[/tex] and i get 2(1+[tex]\nu[/tex] )(1-2[tex]\nu[/tex]) every time, is my algebra off somewhere, am i using the wrong method or could they have a mistake in the answer??

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2
    sorry about the LATEX work, i see it now, looks terrible, i will try to fix it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook