1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

$50 dollars to spend on textbooks for Physics (soft covers are okay)

1. Jul 2, 2011 #1
    So I have the following:
    Halliday & Resnick
    Griffith's Quantum Mechanics
    Ryder's QFT (I have a reason for getting this over Schroeder or the Zee book)
    Access to most of my friend's books (everything from Hewitt's Conceptual Physics to MTW's Gravitation) but I want my own copies for a number of reasons

Things I'm considering getting:
    Griffith's Electrodynamics
    Griffith's Particle book
    Goldstein & Poole Classical Mechanics
    Shankar's Quantum Mechanics
    Jackson's Electrodynamics
    Penrose Road to Reality*** not super serious but I've heard it's great.

Everything above I've read through the opening chapters of and fortunately none of them really scare me as much as I thought they would (well the Jackson book....) I would put books like Gravitation on the list but I cannot find it in paperback or used for less than $50 =|

I'm looking to get something that will be useful to me in the long term that I can get used or paperback/international for $50. I know that several of these books can be purchased for that much in those manners but I am unsure what I should get.

Any recommendations? The limit in spending is because it is coming as a gift.
    Math texts would probably be good too

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2011 #2
    There's still a lot to like about Ryder's QFT book.

MTW is somewhat impractical for self study, and there have been a zillion GR books written in the intervening 40 years. For a GR book, I see some used copies of Ohanian for $20 on Amazon. The emphasis is much more "physical" and much less geometrical. Or wait for a cheaper copy of Hartle, which I think is now the best introductory text. But Schutz is still good, and Ryder has weighed in with a text.

Don't forget the http://store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-science-and-mathematics-physics.html.

You could probably pick up cheaper older editions of Goldstein and Jackson. For mechanics, I like the conciseness of Landau & Lifschitz. But be careful, the Elsevier printings had a problem with unreadable fine print. BTW, I think Abebooks or Alibris are better than Amazon for getting exactly the the right edition and condition you want for used books.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Jul 3, 2011 #3
    I have yet to begin my Ryder text but this fall I'll be taking an independent study from it ^^; Will Griffith's text be enough preparation? I feel like I'm going to die even though I've heard it's slightly gentler as a text. What do you like about it?

I don't plan on self studying MTW XDDD I'll wait until I'm through with the math required haha but I do plan on needing it is all.

I use Abebooks and Alirbis as often as I look for textbooks (which is oddly quite often lately) I agree that they are both good sites as well. Do you have any issues with their international edition books?

I think I may go with the Goldstein, I may also consider Marion...? I cannot remember but I believe it was another mechanics book that is used more frequently in undergraduate courses.

Thanks a lot for your links to other books, I'll be sure to look into them soon!
    Elwin

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Jul 4, 2011 #4
    I don't know Griffith's text, but I assume that, being a particle physics book, it deals more with phenomenology. I would recommend https://www.amazon.com/Gauge-Theori...648/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309762446&sr=8-2" for a gentler introduction to QFT.

He writes very clearly. That doesn't mean you'll understand everything, though.

I can understand why you feel you might want such a classic text, but it's not where I'd start with GR.

I've been afraid to take a chance on them. Mainly I worry about the quality of the paper, printing, and binding. Maybe they're not so bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook