1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

5th order DE with g(x)=32exp^(2x)

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use variations of parameters to find the general solutions of the following differential equations.

y'''''-4y'''=32exp^(2x)

2. Relevant equations

no relevant equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

hey there, I tried solving this question. I got the homogeneous equation.

yh(x)=C1+C2x+C3X2+C4exp^(2x)+C5exp^(-2x)

but after this step.. I am stuck..

Because I am not quite sure whether I am in the correct path to look for the general solutions. After I have this equation, I did the wronskian matrix, I found the determinant of the 5X5 matrix is 512. Am I correct? Please correct me if I am not in the journey to my answer.

Besides that , If I were to use the variations of parameters. The matrix would be 5X5 dimensions. Is it correct?

Thanks

edited due to duplication on the template question.. sorry..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2009 #2
    You should get into the habit of reducing such a DE into something more familar. Let [tex]u=y^{(3)}[/tex], so the DE becomes [tex]u'' - 4u = 32e^{2x}[/tex].

Proceed as usual (involves a 2x2 matrix) to solve for u(x). Then you can obtain y(x).

4. Feb 5, 2009 #3
    hey there.
    thanks alot for the reply..

i will try out your attempt.. then i will post if i need anymore help..
    thanks

5. Feb 5, 2009 #4
    hey there, i have tried out your attempt.. but I only can find the general solutions

the wronskians i found was -4, am I in the right path ?

u(x) = uh(x) + up(x) = C1e2x+C2e-2x+8xe2x-2e2x

how should I convert it to y(x) = yh(x) + yp(x)

If i use the equation u gave me u = y(3). Am I suppose to integrate u(x) by 3 times?

any clue for me?

thanks

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  6. Feb 5, 2009 #5
    Well done!

No need; you've done the variation of parameters work for u.

Exactly!

7. Feb 5, 2009 #6
    Wow.. thanks alot.. I think I will post the proper solutions after I finished the steps ok ?

and I will let you go through my answer to see whether I did any mistakes.. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?