7 segment display + logic gates

In summary, the task is to create a logic network with 2 inputs and 7 outputs to spell out a 4 letter word. The solution involves creating a truth table, minimizing the 7 output functions using a K-map, and implementing them using logic gates. The process of minimizing involves creating 7 functions and using the K-map to simplify them.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

I'm tasked with creating a logic network that can spell out a simple 4 letter word. It has 2 inputs A and B, and 7 outputs (for a 7 segment display). The 2 bits (A and B) give the 4 total possible inputs to the circuit.

Write the truth table for the 7 output functions, minimize them using a K-map, and implement them using logic gates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've created the truth table.
29vo6cl.jpg

But I don't really understand how I am supposed to use K-maps to simplify this.
Am I supposed to create 7 functions, for example:
C1 = A'B' + A'B +AB
C2 = A'B' + A'B
C3 = A'B'
... and so on, up to the seventh.

Then use the Kmap to minimize those functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup.

Do post your solution besause it looks like it should simplify quite a lot.

1. What is a 7 segment display?

A 7 segment display is a type of electronic display that is commonly used to display numerical digits or other characters. It consists of 7 LED segments arranged in a specific pattern, which can be turned on or off to form different numbers or characters.

2. How does a 7 segment display work?

A 7 segment display works by using a combination of the 7 LED segments to create different numbers or characters. Each segment is controlled by a separate input signal and when turned on, it illuminates to form a part of the desired display. By turning on different combinations of segments, different numbers or characters can be displayed.

3. What are logic gates?

Logic gates are electronic components that perform basic logical operations such as AND, OR, and NOT. They are used to control the flow of electrical signals in a circuit and are an essential part of digital electronics.

4. How are logic gates used with 7 segment displays?

Logic gates are used with 7 segment displays to control which segments are turned on or off to form the desired display. By using different combinations of logic gates, different numbers or characters can be displayed on the 7 segment display.

5. What are the benefits of using a 7 segment display with logic gates?

Using a 7 segment display with logic gates allows for a simple and efficient way to display numerical digits or characters. It also allows for flexibility in creating different displays by using different combinations of logic gates. Additionally, 7 segment displays are low cost and have low power consumption, making them ideal for various applications.