How does one decode a 6 bit binary to 2 7 segment display?

• Thread starter AilingLore21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binary Bit
In summary, a 3 bit 2 input multiplier has a maximum of 6 bits and the max integer product is 49. Problem is I have no idea displaying it in 2 seven segment displays since the 74LS48 decoder only has 4 inputs and 7 output, only good for a single 7 seg. And we are required only to use ICs which is rather costly for us. I thought about using a multiplexer but that would be too costly since it would have a lit of AND gates. There are ICs doing binary -> BCD conversion. And they are certainly cheaper than hundreds of individual logic gates. That conversion is messy, there is no easy way of doing it. How about using a ROM, look up table
AilingLore21
So a 3 bit 2 input multiplier has a maximum of 6 bits and the max integer product is 49. Problem is I have no idea displaying it in 2 seven segment displays since the 74LS48 decoder only has 4 inputs and 7 output, only good for a single 7 seg. And we are required only to use ICs which is rather costly for us. I thought about using a multiplexer but that would be too costly since it would have a lit of AND gates.

Technology news on Phys.org
There are ICs doing binary -> BCD conversion. And they are certainly cheaper than hundreds of individual logic gates. That conversion is messy, there is no easy way of doing it.

How about using a ROM, look up table?

AilingLore21 said:
... And we are required only to use ICs which is rather costly for us. ...
I don't understand this requirement. Only ICs, as compared to what? Costly, compared to what (micro-controller? That's an IC also)? And why?

Is this homework, or an exercise, or an actual product design?

NTL2009 said:
I don't understand this requirement. Only ICs, as compared to what? Costly, compared to what (micro-controller? That's an IC also)? And why?

Is this homework, or an exercise, or an actual product design?
A group project. Our professor is strangely old fasioned. Anyway, I'm curious about ROMS. Do they need any IC connections?
mfb said:
There are ICs doing binary -> BCD conversion. And they are certainly cheaper than hundreds of individual logic gates. That conversion is messy, there is no easy way of doing it.
I thought 74LS48 ICs were Binary to BCD ones? Are there more?

Last edited:
74LS48 is BCD to 7 segments for a single digit. You have to split up your 6 bit binary multiplication result to the two digits.

AilingLore21 said:
And we are required only to use ICs which is rather costly for us.

Can you elaborate on these points? If only using ICs a ROM like NTL2009 suggested or a CPU would be easiest and probably the CPU would be cheapest. Can you use the 74HCT series parts? They are much cheaper and require a smaller supply current.

BoB

mfb said:
74LS48 is BCD to 7 segments for a single digit. You have to split up your 6 bit binary multiplication result to the two digits.

I did some digging and found out using Binary to BCD method. Problem is the 85 ICs have been phased out for decades according to some forums. I'm trying to replicate it using a 4 bit adder IC (74LS83) and a comparator circuit gates so it adds 3 whenever the output goes beyond 4. I'm having no luck on Logisim whatsoever. Since the inputs are 6 bits, bit number 6 and bit number 5 goes into the 1st 74LS83? And should I add 3 to these 2 bit inputs on the first 83?

2009-03-21_21-13-25-859.png

The second image is the closest I could find but it's a BCD to Binary one:

binary-to-bcd-gif.18767.gif

Last edited:
rbelli1 said:
Can you elaborate on these points? If only using ICs a ROM like NTL2009 suggested or a CPU would be easiest and probably the CPU would be cheapest. Can you use the 74HCT series parts? They are much cheaper and require a smaller supply current.

BoB

I'm not familiar with the 74HCT. Supposedly, we're not to use them but since the deadline is a week away, I'm seriously tempted to.

1. How does binary code work?

Binary code is a system used by computers to represent and store data using only two digits, 0 and 1. Each digit is known as a bit, and a group of 8 bits is called a byte. This system was developed to simplify the communication between computers and devices, as they only understand and process electrical signals in the form of 0s and 1s.

2. What is a 6 bit binary code?

A 6 bit binary code is a sequence of 6 binary digits (0s and 1s) used to represent a particular character or data. It can have a total of 64 possible combinations, ranging from 000000 to 111111. This type of code is commonly used in electronic devices to store and transfer small amounts of data.

3. What is a 7 segment display?

A 7 segment display is a common type of electronic display that consists of seven LED (light-emitting diode) or LCD (liquid crystal display) segments arranged in a specific pattern to form numbers or letters. It is commonly used in digital clocks, calculators, and other electronic devices to display numerical or alphanumeric information.

4. How does one decode a 6 bit binary to a 7 segment display?

To decode a 6 bit binary to a 7 segment display, you need to first understand the mapping between the binary digits and the segments of the display. Each segment is represented by a letter or number, and depending on the type of display, the mapping may differ. Once you know the mapping, you can use a combination of logic gates and transistors to turn on the specific segments according to the binary input, thus displaying the corresponding number or letter.

5. What are the potential difficulties in decoding a 6 bit binary to a 7 segment display?

One potential difficulty in decoding a 6 bit binary to a 7 segment display is the complexity of the mapping between the binary digits and the segments. Different types of displays may have different mappings, and it can be challenging to keep track of all the combinations. Another difficulty could be the use of different logic levels or voltage requirements for the display and the input binary code, which may require additional components such as level shifters. Lastly, troubleshooting any errors in the decoding process can also be a challenge, as it involves testing and debugging each component and the connections between them.