Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: 8-point charges on a vertice of a cube

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I attached a picture to make it easier...

2. Relevant equations

Coulomb's Law: F=k(q1*q2)/(r)^2

a^2+b^2=c^2

Charge properties

3. The attempt at a solution

I uploaded a picture of one of the cleaner sheets of work I used so far...Basically, I suppose I'm at a loss at figuring out where to start, and where to finish. I thought I was on the right track by calculating the magnitude of each charge affecting the vertex A, but apparently it hasn't got me very far.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

I would start by calculating the force between two adjacent charge - for example the one directly below A. All the other forces and components will be fractions of that - the size of the fraction determined by the different distances involved. [and angles when looking at components].
    That will keep the arithmetic simple and you may be able to keep track of the forces.

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3
    Okay, I understand finding the force between the two adjacent ones. No problem. And I get that the other components are fractions of them, but how would I go about calculating them simply?

5. Sep 20, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

For "diagonal" charges, the separation is up by a factor of sqrt(2), so the force is down by a factor of 2 courtesy of the inverse square law [there is a factor of R2 in the denominator of the formula.
    The body diagonal distance is up by a factor of sqrt(3)

6. Sep 20, 2011 #5
    You guys on this forum are the best! Thank you!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook