A (apparently?) non-local quantum field theory

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the euler-lagrange equations for a non-local lagrangian density involving a complex scalar field ψ. The resulting equations include a non-constant mass term and the feynman rules are used to derive the propagator. The resulting mass term is confirmed through the calculation of the leading order correction to the transition amplitude. The conversation also raises a final doubt about the non-locality in the lagrangian and its effect on the equations of motion. The requirement for x-linearity in f is also discussed.
rubbergnome
I need to derive the euler-lagrange equations for the following non-local lagrangian density for a complex scalar field ψ

[itex]\mathcal{L} = \partial_{\mu}\psi^* \partial_{\mu}\psi - \lambda \int dy\, f(x,y) \psi^*(y) \psi(y)[/itex]

where λ is the coupling constant, f is a certain real-positive valued function linear in the first argument that satisfies f(x,y)=1/f(y,x) (which also implies f(x,x)=1). The integral is over all spacetime.

Applying the usual euler-lagrange equations shouldn't be correct here. I tried taking the functional derivative of the action S=∫dx L with respect to ψ*and set it equal to zero, and I get

[itex]\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}\psi(x) = -\lambda \int dy\, f(y,x) \psi(x)[/itex]

where indeed we have a non-constant mass term. On the other hand, I used the methods in this paper

http://www.astro.columbia.edu/~lhui/G6047_2012/HowTo.pdf

to derive the feynman rules for the only possible vertex in the theory (this already made me think about a correction to the propagator); I get -iλ∫dxdy f(x,y) which purely depends on f. This result can also be quickly derived with eq. (136) here

http://www2.ph.ed.ac.uk/~egardi/MQFT/mqft_lecture_9_10.pdf

The full propagator is therefore one of a free complex scalar field with mass m²= λ∫dxdy f(x,y). At least this is the result I got, and I'd like to confirm it deriving this mass term in the equations of motion.

I also calculated the leading order correction to the transition amplitude between single-particle states in the canonical formalism, and the result agrees with the above procedure.

The final doubt that arises is this: even if the equations of motions lead to the same result, why would the non-locality in the lagrangian be completely gone, turning into a mass term?

I hope at least part of my post makes sense. Thanks in advance for helping. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For some reason I cannot edit the first post anymore. I just wanted to add that x-linearity in f is not required, also because if compromises the positivity. I needed it for other things, but I realized it's not working that way. Deriving the equations of motion shouldn't depend on that anyway.

What is a non-local quantum field theory?

A non-local quantum field theory is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It differs from a local quantum field theory in that it allows for interactions between particles at a distance, rather than only at the same location in space and time.

How does non-locality affect the predictions of quantum field theory?

Non-locality introduces the concept of entanglement, where particles can become correlated with each other regardless of their separation. This can lead to seemingly instantaneous communication between particles, which can affect the predictions of quantum field theory.

What are the implications of non-locality in the context of quantum mechanics?

Non-locality challenges our understanding of causality and locality in the physical world. It suggests that particles can affect each other's behavior without any apparent physical connection, which goes against our classical understanding of how the universe works.

Are there any experimental evidence for non-local quantum field theories?

There have been numerous experiments that support the predictions of non-local quantum field theories, such as the EPR (Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen) paradox and Bell's inequality. However, there is still ongoing debate and research to fully understand the implications and limitations of non-locality.

How does non-locality relate to the concept of quantum entanglement?

Non-locality is closely related to quantum entanglement, as it is through entanglement that particles can become correlated and behave non-locally. Non-local quantum field theories rely on the concept of entanglement to explain the behavior of subatomic particles at a distance.