1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ball being shot from level ground with a twist

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    Not a literal twist! It's just a bit more complex.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball is to be shot from level ground toward a wall at a distance "x". I am given the graph of the y component of velocity just as it would reach the wall, as a function of that distance x(m). Here's the equation of the line:y=-.5x+5, [0, 20]
    What is the launch angle?

2. Relevant equations
    v = vo +at
    x = xo + Vot + .5at2
    v2 = (vo)2 + 2a(x - xo)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I wrote out all I knew about the x and y components
    y: vo = 5, a = -9.8, xo = 0
    x: a=0

I attempted to created a triangle of the horizantal and vertical components of velocity and the initial velocity as the hypotenuse solve with trig. I got
    sin(θ)= (5)/(V)
    tan(θ)= (5)/(vox)
    No help.
    I really am stuck! Using kinematics, you cant find the initial velocity because you don't know the time. You can't find the time, because you don't know where in the 20 m of the trajectory the ball hit the wall (according to my interpretation of the problem) Ah! If you could help I would be so grateful!!
    Thank you so much!!!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2012 #2
    x depends on time. Use this dependency.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook