1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ball is shot from the ground into the air

1. Sep 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball is shot from the ground into the air. At a height of 8.8 m, the velocity is observed to be

v = (7.4)i + (5.7)j in meters per second (i horizontal, j upward). To what maximum height will the ball rise?

2. Relevant equations
    V^2 = Vi^2 + 2a(Δy)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have listed my knowns for x and y
    Y:
    Yi = 0m
    Y = 8.8 m
    V = 5.7 m/s
    Vi = 11.8 m/s ~solved from the equation

X:
    V = 7.4 m/s
    Xi = 0m

I am having a difficult time finding the max height because they do not give the time and I am not sure if I could solve for time with only the y components.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

You don't need the time.
    You can use the same equation again.
    What is the y velocity when max height is reached?

4. Sep 18, 2016 #3
    The velocity would be zero but I used that number and I get 7.1 m for displacement and that's too low.

5. Sep 18, 2016 #4
    I see what I was doing wrong. I was forgetting to put in the 8.8 m and the 5.7 velocity which they already gave to me. Instead, I was using the initial velocity that I found which was not necessary.

6. Sep 18, 2016 #5

billy_joule

Science Advisor

As long as you recognise the starting points are different you can use either velocity, the answer is the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted