Solve Kinematics Q13: Golf Ball Height & Distance

• Thread starter John A
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the ball will travel 137.5 m in the x direction and 441.66 m in the y direction before landing.
John A
13) A golfer hits a ball at 100 m/s with an angle of elevation of 30 degrees towards a green. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 [down]. There is no resistance.

a) If the green is at the same height as the golfer then find how long the ball is in the air, and how far away the ball lands from where it was hit.

Given: Gravity: 9.8m/s^2, Vi= 100 m/s
What I've solved for: (x direction) di= 0m, df= 441.66 m, Vi= 86.6 m/s, Vf= 0m/s, a= 0 m/s^2, t=5.1s
(y-dir) di= 0m, df=127.5m, Vi=50 m/s, Vf= 0 m/s, a= -9.8 m/s^2, t= 10.2s)
I solved for the final x and y direction distances using trig laws.

What I'm having trouble with:
b) If the green is 10 m higher than the golfer then find out how long the ball is in the air, and how far away the ball lands. [You do not need to recalculate what you did in Part A]

My Answer (which was wrong):
Since initial and final velocity remain the same, the ball will be in the air for the same amount of time as Part A and should land only 10 m higher than that of Part A which is 137.5 m in the y-dir and still 441.66 m in the x-dir.

What am I doing Wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What if the landing spot was 10,000 feet lower. Would the hang time still be the same? And does that affect the x distance?

John A, I apologize, but I should have looked at your work more carefully. I agree with your initial velocities that you found, but how did you come up with the x direction final velocity being equal to 0 m/s? Maybe that was my tee shot on hole #4 years ago when I hit that lady on her back side. But that would be more of an inelastic collision problem. But seriously, the x direction final velocity cannot be 0 m/s when the problem specifies "no resistance". And I agree with your time of t = 10.2 seconds for the y direction, but how can you get an answer of half that time for the x direction? Doesn't it have to be the same amount of time for x and y components that the ball is in the air?

John A said:
Since initial and final velocity remain the same,
Do they?

TomHart said:
John A, I apologize, but I should have looked at your work more carefully. I agree with your initial velocities that you found, but how did you come up with the x direction final velocity being equal to 0 m/s? Maybe that was my tee shot on hole #4 years ago when I hit that lady on her back side. But that would be more of an inelastic collision problem. But seriously, the x direction final velocity cannot be 0 m/s when the problem specifies "no resistance". And I agree with your time of t = 10.2 seconds for the y direction, but how can you get an answer of half that time for the x direction? Doesn't it have to be the same amount of time for x and y components that the ball is in the air?
The ball has to come to a stop, therefore final velocity in both x & y direction must equal 0 m/s

John A said:
The ball has to come to a stop, therefore final velocity in both x & y direction must equal 0 m/s
Aah! There's our issue.
All these equations of motion apply to the free flight of the ball through the air. As soon as it hits the ground, everything changes and other factors come into play. The question asks about the time in the air and where and when it hits the ground - nothing after that. Up to that point it is still moving, both horizontally and vertically. It will only stop after hitting the ground, probably bouncing and rolling, loosing energy to the ground. (I think the "no resistance" is probably meant to apply to air resistance. Otherwise, if there were truly no resistance of any sort, the ball would never stop!)

So your final zero velocities are incorrect assumptions, but for the initial calculation with the green at the same height, you do know the correct non-zero final velocity components.

John A said:
Since initial and final velocity remain the same, the ball will be in the air for the same amount of time as Part A and should land only 10 m higher than that of Part A which is 137.5 m in the y-dir and still 441.66 m in the x-dir.

What am I doing Wrong?

Imagine instead of a green, you have two areas of thin paper that the golf ball will fly straight through, leaving a hole where it would have landed. The first sheet of paper is 10m above the other, which is at ground level.

Now, think about the trajectory of the ball (do a rough diagram) and show on the diagram where the ball will go through the first sheet of paper and then where it will go through the second.

Note also that the ball will hit the ground at its final velocity. What happens to the ball after it hits the ground is not predicted by your kinematic equations for flight. It could bounce several times, it could land in a bunker and stop quickly or it could even hit a low wall and bounce backwards. Only the initial flight of the ball is governed by your kinematic equations for a projectile.

1. How do you calculate the height of a golf ball?

To calculate the height of a golf ball, you will need to know the initial velocity, launch angle, and time in the air. You can use the kinematic equations of motion to solve for the height. The formula is h = (vi * sinθ * t) - (0.5 * g * t^2), where h is the height, vi is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What factors affect the height of a golf ball?

The height of a golf ball is affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the gravitational force. The initial velocity and launch angle determine the initial velocity in the vertical direction, while air resistance and gravity affect the ball's trajectory and how high it can go.

3. How do you calculate the distance traveled by a golf ball?

To calculate the distance traveled by a golf ball, you will need to know the initial velocity, launch angle, and time in the air. You can use the kinematic equations of motion to solve for the horizontal displacement. The formula is d = vi * cosθ * t, where d is the distance, vi is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and t is the time.

4. What is the optimal launch angle for maximum distance?

The optimal launch angle for maximum distance varies depending on the initial velocity and air resistance. However, in general, a launch angle of around 45 degrees is considered to be the most optimal for maximum distance. This angle allows for a balance between the vertical and horizontal components of the initial velocity, resulting in the longest possible distance.

5. How does air resistance affect the height and distance of a golf ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, affects the height and distance of a golf ball by slowing it down as it travels through the air. This force increases as the speed of the ball increases, causing it to lose energy and reducing its height and distance. To minimize the effect of air resistance, golf balls are designed with dimples that create a turbulent boundary layer, reducing drag and allowing the ball to travel farther.