A ball is thrown above th house

  • Thread starter Thread starter AvrGang
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 7K views
AvrGang
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Here is a question that I spent 1 hour trying to find a solution but I din't come up with any solution, so please give me any hint you know to solve this problem.

The question is:
You're 6.0 m from one wall of a house. You want to toss a ball to your friend who is 6.0 m from the opposite wall. The throw and catch each occur 1.0 m above the ground.

A.What minimum speed will allow the ball to clear the roof?
B.At what angle should you toss the ball?

Help me with the first part only, I can find the second part by myself.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I found the height from where the ball is caught(1.0m above the ground) to the highest point of the roof where the ball clear the roof. The height is 3 m
but Ididn't find an equation to find the velocity.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
attempt attempt? show your so called stupid attempt, nobody is going to laugh at you, but we'd respect you for showing your work :)

i'm working on it right now, but someone who is better at physics might help you if you show some work
 
ok here is my attempt:

I found the height from where the ball is caught(1.0m above the ground) to the highest point of the roof where the ball clear the roof. The height is 3 m
but Ididn't find an equation to find the velocity.
 
i found it using the graph in my book

I'll try to post the graph
 
AvrGang said:
i found it using the graph in my book. I'll try to post the graph

No need. Isn't the idea to use appropriate equations of motion (in this case for a projectile) to solve the problem? Or, are you suppose to just analyze the graph, which I presume is a graph of distance vs time? Remember the definition of velocity?
 
Last edited: