1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Bar Suspended by Two Vertical Strings

1. Feb 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rigid uniform horizontal bar of mass m1 = 85.00 kg and length L = 5.300 m is supported by two vertical massless strings. String A is attached at a distance d = 1.500 m from the left end of the bar and is connected to the top plate. String B is attached to the left end of the bar and is connected to the floor. An object of mass m2 = 2000 kg is supported by the crane at a distance x = 5.100 m from the left end of the bar.

Throughout this problem, positive torque is counterclockwise. Use 9.81 m/s^2 for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.

(1) Find T(A) the tension in string A.
    (2) Find T(B) the magnitude of the tension in string B.

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

Ta = (Torque due to weight of bar + Torque due to weight of object) / (l/2)
    Tb = Ta*d - m1g(L/2) - m2gx

3. The attempt at a solution

I got Ta = 68111.63, It says that I am close, rounding error, and it has to be in 4 sig figs.

I got Tb = 34056.45, and no dice with this one.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand how you arrived at these equations.

To find Ta, set up a torque equation about the point where string B connects to the bar; To find Tb, set up a torque equation about the point where string A connects to the bar.

4. Feb 8, 2008 #3
    Are you using T for both torque and tension? Some units would be a big help to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?