Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A basic question about computing this derivative

1. Aug 8, 2013 #1
    Hello,

This is my first post and I must emphasise that I do not have a science/maths training background and this might be a very basic question. I apologise if it is too basic to belong here.

I have a function defined as follows:

E(I,J) = [itex]\int CC_{p}(I,J)dp[/itex]

Just a little context, I am trying to do some image processing and E is some energy function (based on two images I and J) that needs to be maximised. CC is the cross correlation in an image neighbourhood p and the total energy is given by the summing up these local contributions.

Anyway, to maximise this function with respect to some variable 'v', I need to compute the derivative [itex]\frac{\partial E}{\partial v}[/itex]

My question is can I use the fundamental theorem of calculus and say that

[itex]\frac{\partial E}{\partial v} = \frac{\partial CC_{p}}{\partial v}[/itex]

I get a bit confused about this. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    Anja

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2013 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

You can interchange the order of the integration and differentiation and write:
    [tex]\frac{\partial E(I,J)}{\partial v} = \frac{\partial}{\partial v}\int CC_p(I,J) dp = \int \frac{\partial CC_p(I,J)}{\partial v} dp[/tex]

But what you wrote is not correct. Does this help?

4. Aug 8, 2013 #3
    Yes, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook