A Block, a speaker and a spring

In summary, the conversation discusses a block with a speaker attached to a spring with a spring constant of 20.0 N/m and a total mass of 5.0 kg. The amplitude of the unit's motion is 0.500 m and the speaker emits sound waves at a frequency of 440 Hz. The lowest and highest frequencies heard by a person to the right of the speaker are determined by considering the maximum potential and kinetic energy, as well as the fastest speed and the shift in perceived frequency. The conversation also references the Doppler effect.
Trista
I love it when they combine chapters. :rofl:
OK, here is the question:
A Block witha speaker bolted to it is connected to a spring having spring constant k = 20.0 N/m. the total mass of the block and speaker is 5.0 kgk, and the amplitude of the unit's motion is 0.500 m. If the speaker emits sound waves of frequency 440 Hz, determine the lowest and highest frequencies heard by the person to the right of the speaker.

Lets see if I can draw this in ASCII. The periods are for spacing purposes.

|
|
|
|......... :confused: Me standing to the
|...|---/\ ) ) ) .........right of the speaker
|...|---\/ ) ) ).<-- (speaker and sound waves).trying to decide the
|()()|.<-(spring attached to the block and sp)... lowest and highest
|............ frequencies.
|

Ok, so the spring constant part has thrown me. I'm not sure where to begin. Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the spring constant relate to maximum potential energy? And how does this relate to maximum kinetic energy? And how does kinetic energy relate to its fastest speed? And how does speed relate to shift in perceived frequency?

ok, one thing at a time...
PE spring = KE
1/2kA^2 = 1/2mv^2 max so,
1/2(20 N/m)(0.50 m)^2 = 1/2 (5.0 kg) v^2 max
2.5 = 1/2 (5.0 kg) v^2 max
v max = sq rt [2(2.5 m)/5 kg]
v max = 1 m/s

if that is right then,
now I need to deal with perceived frequency.

Last edited:
Hello? Mr. Doppler?

1. What is the purpose of a block, a speaker, and a spring?

The block, speaker, and spring are commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate the principles of oscillation and sound waves. They work together to create a simple harmonic motion, which can be observed and measured.

2. How does the speaker affect the behavior of the block and spring system?

The speaker introduces a periodic force to the block and spring system, causing it to vibrate at the same frequency as the sound wave produced by the speaker. This vibration creates a standing wave pattern in the spring and the block, which can be seen as the block moving up and down.

3. What is the relationship between the frequency of the sound wave produced by the speaker and the frequency of the block and spring system?

The frequency of the sound wave produced by the speaker is directly proportional to the frequency of the block and spring system. This means that as the frequency of the sound wave increases, the frequency of the block and spring system also increases, resulting in a faster oscillation.

4. How does the amplitude of the sound wave affect the amplitude of the block and spring system?

The amplitude of the sound wave produced by the speaker has a direct effect on the amplitude of the block and spring system. As the amplitude of the sound wave increases, the amplitude of the block and spring system also increases, resulting in a larger displacement of the block.

5. Can the block, speaker, and spring system be used to visualize other types of waves?

Yes, the block, speaker, and spring system can also be used to visualize transverse waves, such as electromagnetic waves. By changing the frequency and amplitude of the sound wave produced by the speaker, different types of waves can be observed in the block and spring system.