1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A block on a frictionless slope slides down and compresses a spring

1. Oct 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, folks. I know this same problem has been answered before here but the previous responses are just not doing it for me, sorry!

An inclined plane of angle θ = 20.0° has a spring of force constant k = 495 N/m fastened securely at the bottom so that the spring is parallel to the surface as shown in the figure below. A block of mass m = 2.37 kg is placed on the plane at a distance d = 0.318 m from the spring. From this position, the block is projected downward toward the spring with speed v = 0.750 m/s. By what distance is the spring compressed when the block momentarily comes to rest?

Here is an image of such a setup.
    http://imgur.com/5JF0F

2. The attempt at a solution

So basically I want to find the displacement in the spring given these values. What I do first is get the velocity at which the box hits the spring so I can get it's kinetic energy at that point.

It starts at .750m/s but it's acceleration due to gravity is 9.8*sin(20 degrees) since it's on an incline and it has to travel .318m to hit the spring so I've got:

x_final=x_initial+v_initial*t+1/2*a*t^2

.318=0+0.75*t+1/2*(9.8*sin(20 degrees))*t^2

t=0.26951 seconds

now that we have time let's get final velocity.

v_final=v_initial+a*t

v_final=0.75+9.8*sin(20 degrees)*0.26951

v_final=1.653 m/s

Now let's get the kinetic energy of the block when it hits the spring.

Kinetic=m*v^2/2

2.37*1.653^2/2=3.238J

Now let's get the potential energy on the spring

U_spring=1/2*k*(x_final^2-x_initial^2)

U_spring=1/2*495*(x^2-0)

495/2*x^2 J

now let's solve

3.238=495/2*x^2

x=0.114m. This is incorrect.

Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2011 #2
    Could you perhaps try and use hookes law to see how much it compresses directly? F=-kx, x=(2.37*9.8*sin(20))/(495)=.016? its been a while since I did physiscs so im not 100% sure..

is the real answer really close to what you have? it could be a rounding error..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook