1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A bullet goes through a ballistic pendulum, what is it's initial velocity?

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 7.0-g bullet is fired into a 1.5-kg ballistic pendulum. The bullet emerges from the block with a speed of 200 m/s, and the block rises to a maximum height of 12 cm. Find the initial speed of the bullet.

2. Relevant equations
    Conservation of Momentum

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first converted all of my units into SI units. I then went to use the Conservation of Momentum for Glancing Collisions, with X and Y components, but I am confused as to what the components of the bullet are. All I know is that the pendulum rises at some angle to .12 m above it's original position and I'm not sure how to interpret this into an equation. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2

Lok

Is it necessary to do this with Cons of momentum as Cons of energy seems easier?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook