A bullet-knot-block system with momentum

In summary: My bad. I got an answer of ~-1.14, which is correct. Thank you for your help.In summary, the problem involves a 0.0050-kg bullet colliding with a 2.0-kg wooden block at rest, pushing out a knot and giving the knot and bullet an x component of velocity of +10 m/s. The knot carries 10% of the original inertia of the block. Using conservation of momentum, the final velocity of the block is computed to be approximately -1.14 m/s. The mistake of using an incorrect mass for the block was corrected to arrive at the correct answer.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

You shoot a 0.0050-kg bullet into a 2.0-kg wooden block at rest on a horizontal surface (Figure 1) . After hitting dead center on a hard knot that runs through the block horizontally, the bullet pushes out the knot. It takes the bullet 1.0 ms to travel through the block, and as it does so, it experiences an x component of acceleration of -4.5 × 105 m/s2. After the bullet pushes the knot out, the knot and bullet together have an x component of velocity of +10 m/s. The knot carries 10% of the original inertia of the block.
Using conservation of momentum, compute the final velocity of the block after the collision.

Homework Equations

[itex] p=mv [/itex]
[itex] p_{T1} = p_{T2} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part of the problem had me calculate the initial velocity of the bullet, which I did and got a correct answer of 460 m/s. Now I am not sure what to do with the problem because all of the problems we had before had instantaneous collisions, not collisions that happen over time, which I assume has integrals involved, so would I integrate over the time given? I assume the step is a pretty easy and I am just missing what to do. I don't know if I should calculate the momentum the moment to block hits and after the block hits and then find out the velocity of the block, or if since there is a time where the bullet is inside of the block and pushing the "knot" if that causes any significant change in the velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
B3NR4Y said:

Homework Statement

You shoot a 0.0050-kg bullet into a 2.0-kg wooden block at rest on a horizontal surface (Figure 1) . After hitting dead center on a hard knot that runs through the block horizontally, the bullet pushes out the knot. It takes the bullet 1.0 ms to travel through the block, and as it does so, it experiences an x component of acceleration of -4.5 × 105 m/s2. After the bullet pushes the knot out, the knot and bullet together have an x component of velocity of +10 m/s. The knot carries 10% of the original inertia of the block.
Using conservation of momentum, compute the final velocity of the block after the collision.

Homework Equations

[itex] p=mv [/itex]
[itex] p_{T1} = p_{T2} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part of the problem had me calculate the initial velocity of the bullet, which I did and got a correct answer of 460 m/s.

That looks correct to me. :approve:

Very nice.

Now I am not sure what to do with the problem because all of the problems we had before had instantaneous collisions, not collisions that happen over time, which I assume has integrals involved, so would I integrate over the time given? I assume the step is a pretty easy and I am just missing what to do. I don't know if I should calculate the momentum the moment to block hits and after the block hits and then find out the velocity of the block, or if since there is a time where the bullet is inside of the block and pushing the "knot" if that causes any significant change in the velocity.

Conservation of momentum applies whether the collision is instantaneous or not (and of course, assuming there are no external forces or torques). The fact that this collision is not instantaneous doesn't matter. Conservation of momentum still applies.

Just take the system's total momentum before the collision [Edit: i.e., before the bulled strikes the block], and set that equal to the system's total momentum after the collision [Edit: i.e., after the collision is completely finished]. There is only one unknown variable: the velocity of the remainder of the block. Solve for that. :smile:

[Edit: btw, no integration is necessary.]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Hi B,

If it says "Using conservation of momentum, it probably means "Using conservation of momentum", so why not try that ? Write down an equation for conservation of momentum.

Done? OK, let's continue then:
For the momentum of the bullet before the collision you have all you need.
For the knot too.
For the rest of the block also.
Personally, I don't understand why you don't show that intermediate result.

Now comes the tough question: what information is really needed to "compute the final velocity of the block after the collision" ?

[edit] boy, am I a slow typist...

collinsmark said:
That looks correct to me. :approve:

Very nice.
Conservation of momentum applies whether the collision is instantaneous or not (and of course, assuming there are no external forces or torques). The fact that this collision is not instantaneous doesn't matter. Conservation of momentum still applies.

Just take the system's total momentum before the collision [Edit: i.e., before the bulled strikes the block], and set that equal to the system's total momentum after the collision [Edit: i.e., after the collision is completely finished]. There is only one unknown variable: the velocity of the remainder of the block. Solve for that. :smile:

[Edit: btw, no integration is necessary.]

Okay so since momentum is an extensive quantity, [itex] p_{total, i} = p_{block, i} + p_{bullet, i} [/itex] for the initial momentum, and for the final momentum [itex] p_{total, f} = p_{block, f} + p_{bullet+block \, piece} [/itex] and using the definition of momentum, and knowing that hte piece of the block and bullet's masses are (10% of 4 kg) + 0.0050 kg, or 0.405 kg, and I get the mass of the block to be 3.6 kg, and my equations become:

[itex] 0.0050 (kg) \, * \, 460 (m/s) = 3.6 (kg) * v_{f} + 4.05 kg*m/s [/itex]

and solving for vf I get

[itex] (2.3 kg*m/s \, - \, 4.05 kg*m/s)/3.6(kg) = v_{f} [/itex]

This throws me off cause it is negative, I might be thinking about the problem wrong, but a negative answer doesn't make sense to me. I got an answer of ~-0.49 [edit: which I entered into the program and is wrong]

Last edited:
What was the mass of the block ?

[edit] kudos for smelling something wrong, though!

BvU said:
What was the mass of the block ?

I feel incredibly dumb. 2 kilograms, not 4

[edit: I learned a valuable lesson in reading problems today]

Happens all the time. You're in good company. Finding your own errors and fixing them makes you a good scientist in the long run. (ahem...)

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
Happens all the time. You're in good company. Finding your own errors and fixing them makes you a good scientist in the long run. (ahem...)

Yes, thanks for your help! I'm quickly starting to learn in this physics course that if an answer seems wrong, it probably is.

How do you find initial velocity?

For the block it is a given, so I suppose you mean for the bullet ...
Write out some conservation of momentum equations and then work backwards.

BvU said:
For the block it is a given, so I suppose you mean for the bullet ...
Write out some conservation of momentum equations and then work backwards.
Thanks for your help! But this is a year old, this homework is long over lol

Yes. Molly would be better advised to post her/his own thread.

1. What is a bullet-knot-block system with momentum?

A bullet-knot-block system with momentum is a physical model used to analyze the motion of a bullet as it travels through a knot in a block. It takes into account the momentum of the bullet and the conservation of momentum in the system.

2. How does the system work?

The bullet-knot-block system works by using the principles of Newton's laws of motion. The bullet is initially fired with a certain amount of momentum, and as it enters the knot in the block, it transfers its momentum to the knot and block. This transfer of momentum causes the knot and block to move in the opposite direction of the bullet's initial motion.

3. What is the purpose of studying this system?

Studying the bullet-knot-block system with momentum can help us understand the behavior and forces involved in high-speed collisions. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of bulletproof materials and the development of safer firearms.

4. How is momentum conserved in this system?

Momentum is conserved in the bullet-knot-block system through the principle of conservation of momentum. This states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. In this system, the initial momentum of the bullet is transferred to the knot and block, resulting in an equal but opposite change in momentum.

5. What factors affect the behavior of the system?

Several factors can affect the behavior of the bullet-knot-block system with momentum. These include the mass and velocity of the bullet, the type of knot and block used, and the angle at which the bullet enters the knot. Other factors, such as air resistance and friction, can also play a role in the system's behavior.