Solve Calculus 3 Question: Triple Integral over Parabolic Cylinder and Planes

In summary, the conversation is about computing a triple integral with the region bounded by a parabolic cylinder and three planes as boundaries. The person is having trouble determining the limits of integration and the sketch doesn't make sense. They mention the use of the x=y plane and explain how it intersects with the parabolic cylinder to enclose a small area. The overall limits for x, y, and z are determined and the integral is provided. The person thanks for the clarification on the z limits.
marc.morcos
Hey guys, i need some help... I am trying to compute the triple integral z dx dy dz, where R is the region bounded by the parabolic cylinder x= 4y^2 and the planes z = 5 x, y = x, z = 0 ... i can't seem to get the limits of integration... when i sketch it it doesn't quite make sense... thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
i tried again but the sketch doesn't make perfect sense, its almost like the boundaries don't limit it completely, so the volume appears to be infinitly large
i have the z=5x plane, x=y plane, z=0 plane and the parabolic cylinder x=4y^2... i don't see the use of being given the x=y plane because its just skims the parabolic cylinder, not giving it a boundary...

x= 4y2 is a parabola and y= x is a line in the xy-plane. They intersect at (0,0) and(1/4, 1/4) and inclose a small area between them. The region they include is the cylinder having those boundaries. z= 0 is the bottom boundary and z= x is the top. Overall, x ranges between 0 and 1/4. For each x, y ranges between y= x and [itex]y= (1/2)\sqrt{x}[/itex]. For every (x,y), z ranges between 0 and x. Your integral is
[tex]\int_{x=0}^{1/4}\int_{y= x}^{(1/2)\sqrt{x}}\int_{z= 0}^x z dzdydx[/tex]

thx so much... i couldn't see how the x=y would effect

oh and i think that z goes from 0 to 5x not 0 to x

1. What is Calculus 3?

Calculus 3, also known as Multivariable Calculus, is the study of calculus in three dimensions. It involves concepts such as vectors, partial derivatives, and multiple integrals.

2. What topics are covered in Calculus 3?

Some of the main topics covered in Calculus 3 include vectors, vector-valued functions, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus.

3. How is Calculus 3 different from Calculus 1 and 2?

Calculus 1 and 2 focus mainly on single-variable calculus, while Calculus 3 deals with functions of multiple variables. It also introduces new concepts such as vectors and vector-valued functions.

4. What are some real-world applications of Calculus 3?

Calculus 3 has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and solve problems involving motion, optimization, and surface and volume calculations.

5. How can I prepare for a Calculus 3 question?

To prepare for a Calculus 3 question, it is important to have a strong understanding of Calculus 1 and 2 concepts, as well as basic algebra and trigonometry. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the formulas and concepts covered in the course.