1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A car travelling at 50km/h stops in 70.0m HELP

1. Mar 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car travelling at 50.0 km/h stops in 70.0 m. What is the stopping distance if the car's speed is 90 km/h?

2. Relevant equations

This is a question in the unit about momentum & energy, so most of the questions have been applying formulae about momentum, work, gravitational potential energy, kinetic energy, etc. I'm confused as to how this question relates to this section because I can't seem to find an applicable formula.

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to solve this using ratios and got an answer of 126 m, but the real answer is somewhere around 2.3E2 m. I'm super confused, but expecting that it'll be a super obvious solution...?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2014 #2
    OH! Maybe I figured it out. Since doubling velocity QUADRUPLES the stopping distance (because 2^2 = 4), and the velocity was increased by 1.8, I can square 1.8 (1.8^2 = 3.24) and multiply 3.24 by 70.0 to get 226.8! Does anyone know how I could show this in a more mathematical way?

4. Mar 8, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can also see it in terms of the v-t graph.
    Model the car as stopping with a constant acceleration ... this is a line on your graph with a negative slope - so it makes a triangle with the v and t axes. The area inside this triangle is the distance to stop.

Sketch the graph for both situations, then you have two similar traingles - don't let the time to stop T being unknown phase you - what's important is that the acceleration is the same each time.

If you prefer to memorize equations - the equations you want are the kinematic or "suvat" equations.
    You want the one that relates displacement to velocity and acceleration.

5. Mar 9, 2014 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was going to suggest writing two energy equations using..

Work = Force * distance = 0.5mV2

eg

F * D1 = 0.5mV12

F * D2 = 0.5mV22

Substitute for F.
    The mass will cancel.

6. Mar 9, 2014 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I like your approach here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted