1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A chord at the edges of a graph

1. Aug 23, 2015 #1
    Greetings, i found an interesting exercise from my perspective, it's not about HW, i just want to see different approaches than the Greek math forum i posted yesterday, so we have:

If $$ f $$ is a function, then a chord is a straight portion whose edges belong to $$ C_f $$
    f is a continuous function. its domain is $$ [0,1] $$ and $$ f(0)=f(1)=0 $$

A) Prove that a chord with length $$ \tfrac{1}{2} $$ exists
    B) Prove that a chord with length $$ \tfrac{1}{n} $$ exists where n=1,2,3..

ps: (
    sorry for the ugly latex appearance), i also think that A) question is a result of B)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

On this board, use [ itex ] and [ /itex ] (without the spaces) rather than the dollar signs to get "in line" Latex.
    Does "[itex]C_f[/itex]" mean the graph of f? I don't believe that is standard notation. Let g(x) be the length of the chord from (0, 0) to (x, f(x)). Show that g is a continuous function. Therefore g takes on all values between 0 (when x= 0) and 1 (when x= 1).

4. Aug 23, 2015 #3
    I think the translation is confusing: a chord is normally defined as a line segment joining two points on the graph of a function. The words "portion" and "boundary" are not useful here.

Assuming this is what you mean, the more general result that for any function f continuous in the interval [a, b] chords exist of all lengths ## l; 0 < l \le \sqrt {(f(b)-f(a))^2 + (b-a)^2} ## can be proved from the definition of a continuous function. Can you see how?

5. Aug 23, 2015 #4
    Thanks for your answer..Yes the term "portion" is bad sorry :/ . The solution i got from the other forum was different : Assume the function [itex] F_n(x)=f(x+\dfrac{1}{n})-f(x) [/itex] and then i use the Bolzano theorem if [itex] Fn(a)F_n(b)<0 [/itex], (sorry i find it extremely hard to translate some greek terms we use) for the second case we follow an inequallity method

Could you explain me your method? i cant see very clearly how you ended up with this specific inequallity

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  6. Aug 23, 2015 #5
    #HallsofIvy you are right the [itex]C_f[/itex] is a symbol we use in greece, it means the graph of [itex]f[/itex]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  7. Aug 23, 2015 #6
    How long is the chord joining ## f(a) ## and ## f(b) ##? Note that you can also use two # (hash) characters as a short cut to bracket inline ## \LaTeX ## on this forum.

8. Aug 23, 2015 #7
    I didnt understand this..what do you mean by how long? sometimes my brains completely stops working :P

9. Aug 23, 2015 #8
    "How long" here means "what is the length of". The chord is the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook