A Christmas tree ball hangs from a hook in the ceiling.

In summary, the Christmas tree ball stays on the hook due to the force of gravity, while it spins on the hook due to the principle of torque. The purpose of the hook is to serve as a support for the ball and determine its stability, which is influenced by the placement, angle, weight, and size of the ball. The hook is typically made of a strong and durable material such as metal or plastic to withstand the weight of the ball.
ScienceGeek24

Homework Statement

A Christmas tree ball hangs from a hook in the ceiling. If the radius of the ball is 8 cm, find the period of the ball's oscillation as it swings on the hook.

Homework Equations

T=2pi*√L/g

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried pluggin the number and I'm way off the answer. Am i using the right equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
A Christmas ball is not a point mass on the end of a string. The system comprises a Physical Pendulum (look it up).

true true i got it! thanks! it was complicated.

1. How does the Christmas tree ball stay on the hook?

The Christmas tree ball stays on the hook due to the force of gravity. The weight of the ball pulls it downwards and keeps it securely on the hook.

2. Why does the Christmas tree ball spin on the hook?

The Christmas tree ball spins on the hook due to the principle of torque. When the ball is hanging from the hook, its weight is pulling downwards. As the ball rotates, its weight shifts and creates a force that causes it to spin.

3. What is the purpose of the hook in the ceiling for the Christmas tree ball?

The hook in the ceiling serves as a support for the Christmas tree ball. It allows the ball to hang and be displayed from above, adding to the festive decorations.

4. How do you determine the stability of the Christmas tree ball hanging from the hook?

The stability of the Christmas tree ball hanging from the hook is determined by the placement and angle of the hook, as well as the weight and size of the ball. If the hook is securely attached and the ball is evenly balanced, it should remain stable.

5. What material is the hook made of and why?

The material of the hook can vary, but it is typically made of a strong and durable material such as metal or plastic. This allows it to support the weight of the Christmas tree ball without breaking or bending under the force of gravity.