A computer security question: Too many 'date modified folders'?

In summary: Odd numbers are since the most recent. You should see something like this:In summary, it seems that my antivirus scanned my folders and changed the dates to indicate they had been used recently. It's unclear what could be bad news for me, as there is no clear problem. However, it is possible that a virus was attached to the files and changed their dates.
mech-eng
TL;DR Summary
I want to learn the reason for too many 'date modified folders'.
Hello. I need to ask about my folders. My 26,263 folders became 'date modified' in 8 minutes. I created those folders and I am aware they stood there. I think any human being can't be so quick.

It seems that this is a good news bad news scenerio, and the only good reason I can think of for that happened is that my antivirus scanned my folders so they became 'date modified'. But what could be bad news for me when there is no clear problem?

How can they become 'date modified' so quickly?

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:
Summary: I want to learn the reason for too many 'date modified folders'.

the only good reason I can think of for that happened is that my antivirus scanned my folders so they became 'date modified'. But what could be bad news for me when there is no clear problem?

I don't think your logic is correct. To the best of my knowledge, an AV scanner is just reading the files, but not modifying them, so shouldn't be changing the dates of the folders the files are in.

Mark44 said:
I don't think your logic is correct. To the best of my knowledge, an AV scanner is just reading the files, but not modifying them, so shouldn't be changing the dates of the folders the files are in.
90% or more of them have not been including files since created, but they generally include another empty folder. So even if that is an attack, what can it be? Why would any malware, virus or whatever it is want to change empty folders? This is really very confusing to me. Can it be anything other than attack?

Last edited:
mech-eng said:
Summary: I want to learn the reason for too many 'date modified folders'.

Hello. I need to ask about my folders. My 26,263 folders became 'date modified' in 8 minutes. I created those folders and I am aware they stood there. I think any human being can't be so quick.

It seems that this is a good news bad news scenerio, and the only good reason I can think of for that happened is that my antivirus scanned my folders so they became 'date modified'. But what could be bad news for me when there is no clear problem?

Certainly the modifications occurred through an automated process.
My first thought is that the directory structure was simply copied - perhaps you were baking them up or perhaps you made an inadvertent drag/drop operation.

It is also possible that a virus was attached to each file. If any of them were text files (*.txt), you verify that they were also modified. If so, you could open one of them with notepad or you favorite text editing tool using the "open with" option (in this case using the default would be dangerous) and check that nothing has been inserted or appended. If only certain file types have been modified, that would be very worrisome.

If you're usig Windows, look at your File Explorer and order them by "Date Modified" .

What are 'date modified folders' and why are they important in computer security?

'Date modified folders' are folders that contain files that have been recently modified or accessed. They are important in computer security because they can help track any changes or unauthorized access to sensitive files.

How do too many 'date modified folders' pose a security risk?

Too many 'date modified folders' can pose a security risk because they can make it difficult to keep track of changes and access to files, potentially allowing for unauthorized modifications or access to sensitive information.

What can be done to minimize the number of 'date modified folders'?

One way to minimize the number of 'date modified folders' is to regularly clean up and organize files, deleting any unnecessary or outdated files. Another option is to limit access to certain files and folders to only authorized users.

How can I protect my computer from potential security threats related to 'date modified folders'?

To protect your computer from potential security threats related to 'date modified folders', you should regularly update your antivirus and firewall software, be cautious of opening suspicious emails or downloading unknown files, and regularly monitor and secure your network.

Are there any tools or software that can help manage 'date modified folders' for better computer security?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can help manage 'date modified folders' for better computer security, such as file management software, security monitoring software, and data backup and recovery tools.